Thursday, January 13, 2011

Mumma

mumma-1

I have to show you this very special little... well, what is it? A cake? A cookie? I'm not sure. It's called a "mumma", and it's a specialty at bakery shop Grillska Huset in Stockholm Old Town. It's buttery and almondy, very dense, and rolled in cardamom sugar. Extremely rich, which explains the small size, but it's one of the yummiest baked goods I've come across.

I have no idea how to make it, the recipe seems well-guarded. It's somewhat like the inside of a mazarin, so perhaps I can try to replicate it... Or I'll just have to enjoy it when I'm in the neighborhood. Either way, make sure you get one if you're in Old Town!

mumma-2

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Anne, this could be a real challenge! Why don't you try it?

I've been in Stockholm twice, but I've never been to that bakery... maybe next time!

Jessica said...

nån sorts karlsbaderdeg el. briochedeg? Eftersom den är tung så måste den innehålla rätt "tunga" ingredienser.

Anne said...

Jessika - inte alls. Jag är inte så säker på att den innehåller mjöl öht, och def inte jäst.

Jessica said...

Mandelmjöl? Annonserar dom den som ett glutenfritt alternativ?

Anne said...

Jessika - definitivt mycket mandel. Jag minns inte om det stod nåt om gluten, jag får kolla nästa gång jag är där. Annars kanske lite mjöl för att binda...? Svårt att säga. Gott i alla fall :)

Katie said...

Wow looks fabulous! Love the flavour of almond and cardamom. Never seen anything like this before.

Edward said...

would be very interested to hear if you happen to come across a recipe - it looks delicious!

Annika said...

Looks and sounds fanstastic!

Anonymous said...

That looks so delicious! I'd be just delighted if you could figure the thing out! I made mazariner bars for the first time at Christmas, and ended up eating almost the whole thing. Every day I thought that I really, really should freeze some of it, but I didn't. Before long it was too late. Almond is just so good, and probably nutritious, too. [I also made Swedish style cinnamon buns for Christmas, with cardamon in the dough and cinnamon and clove in the filling.] Eileen