Monday, August 09, 2010

Vanilla Cut-Out Cookies

sugarcookies-1005-1

I've already told you about the icing for these, but I thought I had lost the recipe - and what a shame, because these are truly excellent cut-out cookies. Whereas sugar cookies are often rather tasteless and just a vehicle for decorations, these are really delicious all on their own. Don't substitute the vanilla bean though - it's really necessary, and well worth it.

Vanilla Cut-Out Cookies
(printable recipe)

450 g flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
225 g butter, at room temperature
225 g sugar
1 egg
1 vanilla bean

Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, beat butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the egg. Cut the vanilla bean in half and scrape in the seeds. Gradually add the flour, and stir into a smooth dough. Leave it to rest for half an hour in the fridge.

Roll out to about 2 mm thickness, and cut out cookies. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 175°C for 10-12 minutes.

Recipe in Swedish:
Vaniljkakor

4 comments:

The Star Anise said...

There's a vanilla pod in the cupboard waiting to be used. I love the smell when I open the cupboard door. I'm thinking if I made vanilla cookies I'd have to replace that vanilla pod. I might well though!

Come visit amiaconnoisseur.blogspot.com

katelund said...

Hi Anne

Where do you buy your Wilton products from?

Kate

Anne said...

Kate - not that I have that many, but I've ordered some from www.kakburken.se where they are pretty expensive but they deliver very quickly. otherwise Ebay...

telephone answering service said...

I usually don't like vanilla much, but the cookies are looking so delicious and the recipe is also not much difficult to prepare. I would really like to give it a try.