Friday, September 12, 2008

Apple Marmelade

appelmarmelad

Finally Friday! I'm actually away, we travelled up to our cabin in Dalarna yesterday to spend the weekend. It's so lovely here, calm and serene and the air is cool and clean. We brought all the cats with us, and they love it up here too. I think they know it's vacation, because all they do is sleep and eat - they eat SO much more food here than at home. It's really quite strange.

Klara, like I said yesterday, was horribly carsick all the way, no fun when the trip takes four and a half hours. I wonder how she'll do on the way home?

Now, over to something edible. Apples. I love apples. I wish I had an apple tree, but alas, I don't. However, I have friends. With trees. And one of them, Monica, presented me with a huge bag of apples a few days ago. I made loads of apple sauce (another post, I promise) and then I made this yummy apple marmalade. It's best to use fairly tart apples to give a nice contrast to the sweet sugar syrup, and they also hold their shape better. This is great on toast, but it's also perfect with sharp cheeses.

Apple Marmalade

100 ml water
300 g sugar
500 g apples

Bring water and sugar to a boil in a heavy-bottomed pot, and boil for five minutes. Meanwhile, peel and core the apples, and cut into small wedges or dice. Pour into the sugar syrup, lower the heat slightly and let it cook for about 20 minutes. Most of the liquid should evaporate (so don't turn the heat down too low), but watch it towards the end, it can easily burn.

Pour into clean jars (or jar, in my case) and keep in the fridge. Because of all the sugar, I think this will keep for quite a while, but freeze it if you're unsure.

Recipe in Swedish:
Äppelmarmelad

6 comments:

David T. Macknet said...

Sounds like a really good apple sauce, to me! But still yummy, of course. ;)

Chili Bean said...

I have more apples this year on my 2 trees than I have had for a long time. So I am starting to cook with them and will try your recipe.
Have already done blackberry and apple crumble which I love.
A favoutite recipe of mine is a soup made from tomato, apple, celery and onion. Roughly equal quantities of each plus a little fresh ginger and nutmeg and some stock. There a several versions which you can find thro google. The original recipe I used sweated the vegetables together before adding the stock, than blitzed and sieved everything, I prefer to just cook and blitz for a more wholefood version.
Uses up surplus tomatoes as well as apples. ...mmmmm!

Katie said...

ohhh yum I ahve got to try this. I adore apples and can imagine this would be great spead on toast, cake, porridge, bread etc..

Anne said...

Davimack - it's much sweeter though! :) But very tasty.

Jeanne said...

The apple marmalade looks amazing. And I'm very impressed that you took ALL the cats on vacation with you! Jst taking one or two was always a pain as a child. It also reminded me of a story I read recently in the paper abtou a couple who took their Norwegian Forest Cat with them from the UK to Norway in a camper van because they wanted her to experience her natural habitat!
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1556004.ece

and

http://www.norsvana.co.uk/sugar.htm

Anonymous said...

wow!! it's totally yummy. I tried it :D

Thanks