Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Some notes on Paris



Ah, this is long overdue - after all, it's been two weeks since I got back from our weekend trip to Paris. It was a really wonderful couple of days - the weather was wonderful, and we felt like we had lots of time to relax and explore. And we did *all* the touristy things - all of them. My feet have never been more sore.

I might get kicked out of the foodie community for this, but.. we really didn't eat that much fun stuff. Our own fault, for sure - for some reason we decided that salads at Planet Hollywood sounded good for one dinner, and lunch at Disneyland the next - but frankly, that was fine too. Not great, not exciting, certainly not French...

However, there were several high points, culinary-wise, too. We started out by having lunch at Vegetable, which both Louisa and Clotilde has written about. It was a wonderful experience, the food was excellent and the service impeccable. And I was so excited to be there! I had the ravioli, as seen up top, and Per had the risotto. No room for dessert or starters, sadly. The ravioli was everything I've hoped for - so flavorful! And the dough felt wonderfully silky, not like any pasta I've ever experienced before. Per's risotto was extremely cheesy and very good. And pretty, too!



My excitement grew to previously unknown heights when I realised that Paris has what Stockholm so much lacks - Starbucks. I love, love, love Starbucks. I really do. And we went there twice. I got to try two great drinks, exciting for me - Caramel Macchiato which was yummy but not that special and.. Frappuccino. I've shied away from cold coffee drinks before, fearing them a little.. but this was perfect. Incredibly tasty, and refreshing. I want more, much more. Sadly, it looks like I'll have to learn how to make them, because I've tried some of the copies here and they're nothing like the real thing. At all.

We also had lunch at a wonderful little bistro, and desserts at Pierre Hermé - but I'll make another post about that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just a little post saying how horrible Starbucks are: here you go.