Thursday, December 09, 2010

Banana Cream Puffs

bananbakelse-3

A while ago, I told you about a great new dessert cookbook by Frederik Zäll and Daniel Roos: Lyxlagat Sött & Gott. Today, I'm participating in a cook-off with four other bloggers: Matplatsen, Linnéas Skafferi, Bagerskan and Passion 4 Baking. We've all chosen a recipe from the book to try out and showcase.

bananbakelse-5

Want a book of your own? The publisher, Grenadine, has promised me an extra book to give away to a lucky reader. It can ship anywhere in the world, but it *is* in Swedish. If you want it, leave a comment and I'll pick a random winner by the end of the week - make sure to include your e-mail!

My choice, or really Per's: Banana Cream Puffs. I didn't make the full recipe, which would have made ten, but instead cut it in third and got four nice little puffs which was perfect after dinner. Very tasty! And very photogenic, which is why you get so many pictures. I couldn't resist! We were asked to supply some step-by-step photos as well, but I never manage that - I don't know how you can focus on both cooking and photographing, it really doesn't work for me.

Frederik also includes ideas for what to drink while baking (his choice is a Double Bastard Ale) and I hope he won't be too disappointed when I admit I was just having coffee. Coffee goes very well with this by the way, and if you're not afraid of sweets, a mug of warm chocolate would be even better.

As for music to cook too, I'm a bit reluctant to confess that I was listening to an endless loop of Christmas carols, which is really my listening of choice during December.

Banana Cream Puffs
Makes 4

1 egg
40 g all-purpose flour
100 ml water
35 g butter

Filling:
100 ml cream (full-fat)
1 tsp vanilla sugar (preferrably homemade)
1/2-1 tbsp cognac
1 banana, very ripe

Decoration:
Dark chocolate
powdered sugar

Start with the dough. Bring butter and water to a boil in a small saucepan. Stir in the flour and stir really well to make sure you don't get any clumps. Keep stirring for a few minutes, until it looks like a nice coherent dough. Let it cool completely.

Next, add the egg. I used my Kitchen-Aid but you can beat it in by hand as well. Make sure to beat it really well, to make the dough smooth.

Shape four balls on a baking sheet, and bake for about 15-20 minutes at 200°C. Don't open the oven during baking, or the puffs will fall!

Remove, and leave to cool while you prepare the filling. They'll look something like this:

bananbakelse-2

Mash the banana. Whisk the cream with the vanilla sugar into soft peaks, and stir in cognac to taste.

When the puffs are cool, split them with a sharp knife. On the bottom half, spread a layer of mashed banana and top with a spoonful of cognac-laced cream. Top with the lid, and decorate with melted chocolate and powdered sugar.

Serve straightaway - they don't keep well at all!

bananbakelse-4

Recipe in Swedish:
Bananbakelse

26 comments:

Angela said...

Oj oj så GOTT!

Och vilken kul grej med cook-off så där, nu vill jag kolla de andras bidrag också!

Jag är såklart gärna med i utlottningen av boken!

kram Angela

Lydia said...

Mumms, låter väldigt gott! Jag är tysk och läser din blog i nästan fyra år nu och det är en inspiration varje gång.

För övrigt är jag förtjust i moderna svenska matböcker - så jag skulle gärna vara med i utlottningen av boken :-)

Tack och hej från Tyskland
Lydia

lydia.maria[at]web.de

Helena Ljunggren said...

GOSH!! Bananbakelse!

Hos mig, www.helenaljunggren.com/sophie-dahls-voluptuous-delights-utlottning/, har man möjlighet att vara med i utlottning om Sophie Dahl's nya kokbok Voluptuous Delights.

Lena said...

Oooo... ser mumsigt ut. Kommer tomten med en bok till mig??
Kram

Pille said...

Me! Me! Me! :)

Anonymous said...

Prøver gjerne denne deilige oppskriften - og flere :-)
elen@trondheim-tkd.no

Elen

Filippa said...

jag har för många kokböcker redan, min bokhylla konkurrerar med din :-) Men en bok av Fredrik å Daniel går ju inte att motstå.

Three-Cookies said...

Me because it will help me to improve my Swedish. What better way to learn Swedish than through a cookbook.

Anonymous said...

Jag skulle också vara med i utlottningen av boken. Tack!
Carol
Madison Wisconsin

charlotta said...

Jag vill jättegärna vara med i utlottningen =)

cekerhed@gmail.com

Annika said...

Ooh, vill vinna! Du vet var jag finns ;-)

Aisling said...

Jag skulle också kunna ge boken ett hem här i Finland. Och tack för receptet, nu tror jag att jag vet vad jag ska laga i helgen.

patrice said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
patrice said...

Hej Anne! Banana Cream Puffs remind me of these banana puffy things we used to be able to purchase in America. I haven't seen one in ages. Will try this recipe. OCH jag hoppas at du ska bli så snäll och ge den bra boken till mig! :) Tack, Patrice

Design A Cake said...

Det låter underbart gott. Deras kokbok vore väldigt trevlig att pryda tallrikshyllan med i köket och Daniel Roos är en höjdare inom konditori, vilken julklapp!

kanelbulle@yahoo.se

Ellen said...

Anne, I love reading your blog and these banana puffs look like the perfect treat for my husband this weekend. Yummy! I'd love to win the book too!

Ellen

ellenjames78[at]gmail[dot]com

E.Martinez said...

Hej, these look jättefint. Jag skulle vilja win the matbok, as jag är i studenten uhh...pluga in Sverige this year. As you can see I am trying to practice min svenska :)

emartinez028@gmail.com

Your Friendly Neighborhood Source for Great Wine and Food said...

Wow, this looks so delicious! Thanks for sharing this!

Fifi said...

I've discovered your blog a few months ago and I love it. I especially like that you've put your recipes in categories, so it's easy to find the Swedish recipes. I live in Ottawa, Canada, and I have a daughter (7) and a little boy (2). Unfortunately, I don't speak Swedish, but I have a very good Finnish friend here who speaks Swedish. It's great that you find the time for work, family, cooking & blogging!

Estel C. said...

Plenty of good things about this recipe. Fist off, the ingredients are pretty easy, and the serving is just reasonable. Looks so yummy, and all you need is a good cup of coffee to go with these puffs. It's truly worth a try. I hope a new mommy will win this book!Cheers!

Jenny said...

Jag älskar också mat på korsen och tvärsen! Läsa, laga, drömma, planera, äta - jag älskar allt med mat! Vad vore maten utan himmelska desserter!!

Frederik said...

hej och tack! Stoooort tack till och med, flr ditt bidrag i vår cook-off. Overkligt stort och snällt av er att ta er tid. Kika gärna på Lyxlagatbloggen där jag kommenterat det hela.

http://blogg.alltommat.se/lyxlagat/2010/12/10/the-cook-off/

Mvh Frederik Zäll

AniMay said...

oh la la.

funkigroover9@hotmail.com

I don't mind if its in Swedish....I'd translate it.

Anne said...

a.c.kristensen@gmail.com

i'm learning swedish, so a swedish cook book would be wonderful :)

Salmiak said...

ooh, absolut så vill jag vara med i utlottningen. Kul med cook-off!

mvh Pia

p.makimaa@gmail.com

Sean Grey Hanson said...

Chocolate drizzled on top just about did it. Delicious!