Wednesday, June 13, 2007

A sunny day at Fjäderholmarna

fjaderholmarna-070606-1

For June 6th, Sweden's National Day, we went to Fjäderholmarna for the day. It translates into "Feather Islands", and it's just a short five-minute boat trip from where we live.

It's really beautiful - but small, and crowded. It sort of reminded me a little bit of Tom Sawyer's Island at Disneyland - you can walk all around it, and there are small stops here and there. But of course, this is a bit bigger. And real.

fjaderholmarna-070606-15

There are some places to eat, but we chose to bring a picnic instead. (Jessie's pasta salad) We did go for ice cream afterwards, very yummy in the hot weather. I had blueberry and hazelnut, Per had hazelnut and chocolate, Mom opted for hazelnut and strawberry and Dad had rum-raisin and vanilla.

fjaderholmarna-070606-11

There are several craftsmen and small shops on the islands. I really liked the glassworks. She made some gorgeous glass jugs that I was very close to bringing home - maybe another day.

fjaderholmarna-070606-13

And these glass flowers! So pretty! I really recommend a trip to Fjäderholmarna if you're in Stockholm in the summertime. It takes about 20-25 minutes from the city, and it's a beautiful ride.

1 comment:

Johane said...

Oh what skill! I don't think I've ever seen such beautiful faux flowers. If ever I'm in Stockholm I'll make sure to stop by!