Friday, May 18, 2007

Making wedding cakes

DSC_0036 (Small)
Tesse, on her hen-party a few weeks ago

I've spent today making a wedding cake for Tesse, one of my closest friends. The wedding is tomorrow, and let me just say making a wedding cake is a pretty big deal. I started practising for this one a while ago (here, and here) but it wasn't really enough to prepare me for making.. four. Yes, four cakes. They won't be stacked, thank goodness, so I don't have to deal with that. I just have to make them look pretty, all by themselves. And well, while not easy, it's at least not the same as piping intricate designs. Not exactly up to that! Especially not since my tooth has decided to act up - or rather, my jaw. It's really swollen, and it hurts quite a bit. No fun at all!

Anyway. The cake making went surprisingly well until it was time to frost the cakes with raspberry buttercream. I made buttercream the same way as I had before, but this time, it turned out runny. As in really, really runny. My kitchen must have been warmer than on the other occasions. So, I crumbed the cakes instead (when you put a very thin layer of frosting all over, it's called crumbing), chilled the buttercream and then re-beat it to get the right texture. I just finished frosting the cakes, so tomorrow all I have to do is cover them in fondant, and tie burgundy silk ribbons around them. Then we'll use real roses to decorate.

And, that's my story as a wedding cake maker. Tomorrow, I'll also morph into makeup-artist and wedding photographer! Talk about multi-tasking!

In other news, we just bought ourselves a Wii! Per is setting it up right now, I can't wait to play.

12 comments:

winedeb said...

You are just too much! I cannot wait to see the cakes! I am sorry that your jaw is not behaving well. But with all the activities maybe you will forget the pain.
OK, what is a Wii ?

Anne said...

Deb - oh, I should have clarified! A Nintendo Wii, a video game basically. Pretty cool - it's like no other. You actually use your body, not just a hand control :)

Anonymous said...

Good luck tomorrow, Anne. Really looking forward to seeing the results!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Were the photos from a hen night?
Have fun tomorrow!

Glenna said...

Good luck! I hate it when anything goes wrong with the cakes, especially when it's something simple that you've done a million times before.

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to seeing a photo of the cakes. I hope your jaw gets better also. But have lots of fun at the wedding.

Anne said...

Holler - yep! Or a hen day really, we "kidnapped" her in the morning, and had activities all day long. It's what's usually done here in Sweden. And she got to wear that pretty veil all day, the photo is from the train station. :)

Thanks everyone, I will definitely post pictures! :)

Anonymous said...

I feel so sorry for your tooth and jaw. I'm glad that the cakes worked out. Good luck to you today and to Tesse and Danne as well!

Anonymous said...

And grats to the wii!

Anonymous said...

LOL - it won't be long before they have a game on the Wii where you can make a cake, then print out your finished confection and serve it up!

cell said...

hello anne, your wedding cakes look so perfect. I might wanna make my own for my wedding too. May I have the recipe for the fondant? I cant seem to find a proper one on the internet. thanks so much.

Anne said...

April - haha, well, Cooking Mama isn't that far off! Except for the print and serve part, of course.

Cell - sorry, the fondant I used was store-bought. There seems to be a reliable recipe in the Cake Bible though, by Rose Levy Berenbaum. Try searching for it, I'm sure someone must have it online. :)