Saturday, May 19, 2007

Spice Sugar

spicesugar

I'm surprisingly calm today - half an hour before I have to start on the sugar paste, tie pretty ribbons around the cakes and that's pretty much that. Too late to worry now - if they suck, so, they suck. And I'm fairly confident that they'll be ok. (The wedding cakes, that is, for those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about.)

Here's a really useful staple recipe. I love having some spice sugar at hand - it's great to sprinkle on cookies, to make cinnamon toast, to make cinnamon swirl bread, to add to coffee, sprinkle on ice cream or even in a rich stew. You can use whatever combination of spices that you like, but these are my favorites for this. No exact quantities, you have to wing it. But there's really no way you could go wrong here, so just have fun. Keep in a tight-lidded jar and you're all set.

Spice Sugar

1 part regular white sugar
2 parts brown sugar
cinnamon
cloves
cardamom
vanilla sugar
nutmeg

Just mix everything together. If you have a few leftover vanilla beans, you can stick them in the jar to intensify the vanilla flavor a bit.

Recipe in Swedish:
Kryddsocker

4 comments:

Wendy said...

This must smell amazing! May make it today just to sniff.

Anonymous said...

This would make a great gift for anyone who has a sweet tooth, or likes baking. I'll definitely try this out. Thanks, Anne.

Kyle said...

Where do you get these jars? They're just about exactly what I'm looking for, but haunting the shelves at second-hand shops has only gotten me so far.

Anne said...

Kyle - IKEA! :) Not sure if it's international, but Ikea here in Sweden has them at a *very* reasonable price.