Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Brussel Sprouts Gratin



Brussel sprouts are one of my favorite veggies. It's so tasty - in the right company, at least. And this recipe is great - it's not very healthy, sure, but it's a great comfort food. Perfect in the winter time!

Brussel Sprouts Gratin
serves 3-4

500 g brussel sprouts, cleaned and trimmed
150 g bacon, chopped
1 onion, finely diced
2 tbsp butter
1-2 tbsp flour
200 ml of cooking water from the sprouts
200 ml cream (light cream will work nicely)
shredded cheese, optional

Preheat the oven to 225°C. Fry the bacon until crispy and add the onions so that they soften a little. Boil the brussel sprouts in lightly salted water until soft (5-10 minutes), drain and reserve the water.

In a small saucepan, melt the butter and add the flour. Make a paste, and then slowly add the reserved cooking water from the sprouts. Add the cream, and let it thicken into a thick sauce. Mix in the bacon and onions. Put the sprouts in an oven-proof dish, and pour the sauce over them. Top with shredded cheese, if using. (I usually don't as I'm not a very big fan of cheese in my gratins.)

Bake for 10 minutes. Serve with pasta or rice, or as a side dish.

Brysselkålsgratäng

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this an original recipe of yours? I've never heard of Brussel sprouts gratin, it sounds delicious though, I'm one of the few people I know who actually enjoy eating sprouts.

Anne said...

Gastrochick - this particular one is original, yes, but I don't think it's very one of a kind. I'm sure many Swedes have their own version of this! :)

Marie said...

This sounds so delicious! And I have the ingredients handy as well. I am going to try this and let you know what we all think. Both my husband and I love Brussel Sprouts.

I usually lightly steam the sprouts, then do a quick stir fry in a little butter, garlic, black pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice just before serving. Your recipe will make a lovely change.

Anonymous said...

I love brussel sprouts!!! Thanks for sharing this recipe...have never had it this way :) Stephen of Stephen Cooks did a whole series of brussel sprouts recipes a while back...you should check it out if you haven't already :)

sooishi said...

bonjour Anne!
I just discovered your blog, it's so nice! your pictures look so beautiful!
I'm a new foodblogger, i will be happy if you came visit me!
See you soon!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Like you, I also love Brussel sprouts!
Your recipe looks very fine!

There are so many ways to prepare this vegetable and it's always very tasty!

I've got a recipe where the BS are previously blanched and then added in a gorgonzola quiche; delicious!

Anne said...

Marie, that sounds really nice too!

Joey, thanks for the tip! I must check that out!

Ooishigal - I'll come on over! Thanks for the heads up! :)

Rosa - oh wow, that sounds great. I love sprouts with creamy cheese - that must be a great combination!

Bloggblad said...

Så gott! Jag älskar gratänger av alla sorter. Blir vrålhungrig när jag läser det här.
Jo, jag noterar att du skriver på engelska men det ids jag inte översätta till.
Välkommen in på min blogg - den är mer åt anti-mat-hållet eftersom jag BARA gillar att äta, inte laga. Fast ibland chockerar jag Ilva med en matbild. För kan - det kan jag - men vill....det vill jag inte...

Anne said...

Bloggblad - du får så gärna kommentera på svenska, det spelar ingen roll. :) Jag ska kika in lite mer regelbundet på din blogg, det har blivit så sporadiska besök...