Wednesday, September 28, 2005
Tarta de Almendras
Embarrassing, again: Sorry about the bite. I don't think I took even one food pic on the trip without tasting the food first. So, what's in that picture? Perfection, that's what. It's an almond cake - tarta de almendras - from a little tiny bar up in the mountains in Spain. More on that in another post.
The owner speaks no English - and I speak very little Spanish. I have asked for the recipe for this but to no avail. Apparently his sister bakes them. But guys, I'm dying here. I want to be able to make this SO badly. So, can anyone help me out? With all the custardmaking that's been going on lately, surely someone knows the tricks to this? I'll try my best to describe it.
1. It's definitely custardlike, soft and squishy, but not really wobbly.
2. It has a caramel on top with a few pieces of almond. I don't worry about recreating this part, I'm sure it's fairly easy.
3. I don't *think* there's any almonds in the custard itself.
4. He has other versions too, including a chocolate one. Not as good, but the exakt same texture.
5. For some reason, I keep thinking it involves condensed milk.. but I could be wrong.
So.. any ideas? If there's a winner, I promise a nice prize, of your choice. Heck, I'll almost promise my first-born to get this cake - it's that good.