Tuesday, April 05, 2005

More about the cats



Kittens are one week old today, and I'm spending most of my time feeding them formula. Or so it seems. They are gaining weight s l o w l y, but hopefully, surely.

Here's a lovely picture of Kelly and Nero (Habanero):


I tried my hand at a new dessert last night. No picture - didn't have a chance before it was all gone - but it wasn't that pretty anyway. I was supposed to make a parfait - the French word for perfect, it's sort of a semifreddo or an ice cream without all the stirring. Basically just eggs, sugar, cream and your chosen flavoring. I made mine in a silicon mold, and stupidly invited friends for dessert before realizing that it would take several hours for it to firm up enough to be turned out of the mold and sliced. So, we ended up digging into it with spoons instead - it was perfectly soft and creamy. Really luscious! I used Marianne candies as my flavoring. These are hard peppermint candies with a chocolate filling. When I was a kid, it wasn't sold in Sweden - only in tax-free stores at the airport, or at the ferry-boats between Stockholm and Helsinki. Nowadays, you can find it anywhere, but I insist on only buying it on the boats. It feels right. Last time we went, we bought a lot - this was a really good way to use up some of them!

Marianne Parfait
4-6 servings

30 Marianne candies, finely crushed
2 eggs
1/2 dl sugar (a scant 1/4 cup will work)
300 ml cream

Beat the eggs and the sugar until fluffy. Beat the cream until it holds stiff peaks. Mix the candy with the eggs, and fold in the cream. Pour in a mold and freeze - overnight would be good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne,
your cats look gorgeous - the little kittens are adorable (I'm sure they'll gain weight soon) and their mummy is a real beauty :)

Cathy said...

Oooh, they're all so cute!!

Jocelyn:McAuliflower said...

Nuts Anne, I'm in love with your cute fuzz ball! I don't 'spose I could convice you to ship a kitten to Oregon :( I guess a virtual love affair is ok.