Tuesday, December 03, 2013

'tis the season.. to be baking pepparkakor

pepparkakor09-1

I get a lot of question about my best recipes for pepparkakor. Well, I have three, and you really need to be starting your dough right about now. It needs at least a few days (up to three weeks) in the fridge for the flavors to develop properly.

I admit that I'm not the biggest fan of pepparkakor in the first place, but they are fun to bake. I decided to just buy some dough this year, and have a roll from Fabrique in my fridge. Now I just need to find some time to bake with the kids - we have so many fun cutters!

I have three recipes for pepparkakor. This one is perhaps the most traditional, and definitely the one that gets the most hits.

This is similar, but made with dinkel - spelt - flour and results in a crunchier cookie.

And this one is my current favorite, with a super-easy to make dough. However, this puffs up a bit and doesn't hold it's shape as well as the other ones. You're best off doing simple shapes with large cutters - hearts are always fine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a huge fan of ginger thins, so will be giving your traditional recipe a try. My fiance is of Norwegian descent and I am learning to cook all these Christmas scandinavian recipes, which is so much fun! I love your blog! :)

Maria Angelique