Sunday, January 01, 2012

Quick Bread with Beer & Herbs

beer-bread

This bread is so fantastic - it takes no time at all, since it's made with baking powder rather than yeast, and it's great to serve alongside a soup or a stew. You can vary the spices as you wish, and the recipe can be doubled.

I used a flavorful porter beer, and I can really recommend that - but try it with any beer, I'm sure it'll be just as good. I used a small loaf tin, but I might try muffin tins next time.

Quick Bread with Beer & Herbs
makes one small loaf - it was enough for three generous servings

225 g all-purpose flour
1,5 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp oregano, dried
1/2 tsp thyme, dried
175 ml porter beer or other dark beer
3 tbsp melted butter

Butter for the tin

Butter a small loaf tin and preheat the oven to 175°C. Mix flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, oregano and thyme. Add the porter and mix lightly. It'll be a very thick batter. Pour it into the loaf tin, and top the whole thing with the melted butter.

Bake for about 30 minutes. Serve right away.

Recipe in Swedish:
Snabbt bröd med porter

3 comments:

Nikki said...

I tried this tonight. Good stuff! The 2 of us ate it all up with our soup. Thanks, Anne!

Nikki said...

Made it again tonight and it was just as good!! :)

Nikki said...

Made it AGAIN TONIGHT! I think we're addicted!! :)