Sunday, February 13, 2011

Garlic Breadsticks

garlic-breadsticks

I had a hankering for breadsticks - soft, pillowy and fluffy, like the one you get at Olive Garden? I wasn't in the mood to cook from an actual recipe so I just freestyled. I used a simple white bread dough - some fresh yeast, some water, some flour, a pinch of sugar and salt, and no, I didn't even bother to measure it.

After the first rise, when it was doubled in size, I used a little more than half the dough for something else (cold-risen rolls!). I flattened the remaining dough into a thin rectangle and placed on a baking sheet. I melted some butter, added the same amount of olive oil (about a tablespoon of each) and added some minced garlic, and a little bit of runny honey. I brushed this on top of the dough, and sprinkled with sea salt. I left it to rise for about half an hour, then baked it in a hot oven (225°C) for about ten minutes.

Delicious! And sorry to give such an in-exact recipe, but think of it more as a sketch than a recipe. I'll write down measurements next time.

2 comments:

Christopher Hinn said...

I love bread, specially now that I'm on a diet. Thanks for the post!

Meri said...

Oh, it would be fabulous if you could give measurements eventually! I'm not confident enough as a baker to wing it.