Monday, November 08, 2010

Perfect fall snack

torkadeappelringar

Locally grown apples - preferrably from your own garden, if you have that option - dried to crisp yet chewy snacks. I borrowed a friend's dehydrator and that worked out really well, but you can oven-dry these as well. Or even air-dry, but they won't be as crispy.

You can dip the slices, pre-drying - in lemon juice to prevent browning, and you can add spices like cinnamon or cardamom. I did nothing at all to this batch though - the apples are delicious all on their own.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever oven dried them? If so, how did you do it and what temperature did you use? I'm curious and would like to try it.
-Lizzy

Katie said...

I love dried apple rings and have a big bag of them in the cupboard that I keep snacking on. How do you oven dry them?

Shane said...

Very nice and well done. I agree that this is a perfect fall snack and even cheaper than the usual. Apple is also rich in vitamins so it's a perfect snack even for kids. I think I like it with cinnamon.

Anne said...

Oh, I've never tried oven drying myself - but I'd set the oven to as low as possible, definitely not over 100°C, and just let it go until completely dry. I bet it'd take at least 3-4 hours.

Tea said...

Åh, vilken bra idé! Ska genast göra äppelringar av de sista äpplena i fruktskålen!

Stephen said...

These are really tasty! I've tried them and they're really good!