Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Per's birthday cake

per-birthdaycake-08

I have to show you the cake I made for Per's birthday - he turned 30 right before christmas, and had requested a "classic" cake, nothing fancy. So, I made a children's favorite - cake layers with mashed banana, vanilla custard and strawberry jam. It's covered in whipped cream, non-stops (which is similar to Smarties) and gummy bears. He declared it a huge success, and my mom said it was one of her favorite cakes ever. So much for fancy, huh?

9 comments:

Dagmar said...

Wow, you finally gave in :-) I better not show this to F or else he will get envious. Our husbands should form a Non-stop cake club :-)

Anonymous said...

Usch, sounds way too sweet for me :D but I'd never thought about mashed bananas as a cake filling! How very interesting! (though I'd add something acid or bitter... lemon juice or dark chocolate or bitter cocoa powder)

Lexi said...

This cake is so cute!

Jeanne said...

The bottom line is when it comes to birthdays & cakes, we all want to be a kid again :) Cool cake!

AstridVU said...

Ah, den kaken tror jeg nok mine gutter ville likt :)

Pssst... Det ligger en liten utmerkelse inne hos meg til deg :)

David T. Macknet said...

Awesome! I can't say I'd go in for the gummy-bears, but it looks fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Are you sure you don't mean Skittles? Smarties are more pastel and chalky looking.

Either way, playful and fun! Did you eat it all already?

Hilary
www.smorgasbite.com

Anne said...

Hilary, sadly, yes! I really wish we had Skittles, but no such thing here :) This is a Swedish candy which is produced by our leading chocolate brand, Marabou. It's basically chocolate covered in a candy shell, much like Smarties or plain M&Ms :)

Katie said...

What a fabulously fun cake for such a birthday. Love the sound of the banana, jam and custard combo