Friday, May 09, 2008

Oatmeal Walnut Chocolate Cookies

oatmealchocolatecookies

It's Friday, so I have a perfect sweet weekend treat for you to try. It all started when I was leafing through Martha Stewart's massive "Cookies" and trying to decide which recipe to try first. I decided on the Oatmeal Raisin cookies.. without raisins. And with chocolate. And walnuts. And hey, let's have some wholewheat flour instead of regular! (Actually, that was mostly because I had run out of regular and didn't feel like shopping.)

The result? Lots and lots (this is a pretty big recipe) of delicious cookies. I gave some away at once (a very stable strategy against overeating) and the rest are stashed in my freezer - they don't need thawing, so you can just grab one whenever you need a nutty, oaty, chocolate fix.

How many you'll get all depends on size. Don't make them too big, because they spread out very much during baking and my first two sheets turned out to be mostly square cookies since I had to cut them apart.

Oatmeal Walnut Chocolate Cookies
About 50 cookies

750 ml (3 cups) rolled oats
250 ml (1 cup) wholewheat flour
2 tbsp white flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
250 ml (1 cup) granulated sugar
250 ml (1 cup) brown sugar
220 g butter (softened, if you have the time)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
80 g walnuts, chopped
150 g dark chocolate, chopped

Mix oats, both flours, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.

Beat the two sugars with the butter until really fluffy - for about five minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix well. Add the vanilla.

Stir in the oat-flour mixture, and then the walnuts and chocolate.

Preheat the oven to 175°C. Place walnut-sized pieces of dough with plenty of space on the baking sheets, and flatten them slightly. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or a little bit longer if they don't look done yet. Let them cool slightly on the baking sheets before moving them to a rack.

Recipe in Swedish:
Havrekakor med choklad och valnötter

9 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

These look so delicious, Anne! I love oatmeal cookies, and these are extra special!

Tarah at Genesis of a Cook said...

Oatmeal Cookies are one of my favorite cookies out there. These look fantastic!!

Anonymous said...

There's nothing you can't find here, Anne. Your Blog is amazing.
Another hit - Walnuts and chocolate.

I've added you to my

Jerry said...

Yummy! These maybe my new favorite!

Brilynn said...

I love this book, I've been baking lots of cookies lately!

My Sweet & Saucy said...

I love the changes you made to the recipe...especially the addition of chocolate!

Karolina Beaudet said...

Replacing raisins with nuts and chocolate is a wonderful idea, they look absolutely delicious!!!

Anonymous said...

Oatmeal cookies are the only reason not to drive every truckload of rolled oats into the sea. ;)

Anonymous said...

These were absolutely delicious. I didnt have any chocolate so I added a 2 tablespoons of cocoa and additional sugar. My husband could believe home made cookies could taste that good.