Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Baked Sliced Vegetables

baked veggies-txistorra

Here's something quite different! At least I've rarely made anything like this - but now that I've tried, I'll definitely make it again. It's a really easy vegetable dish that you can either serve on its own, or have a simple side. You could use any vegetables you want - I had a few small zucchinis to use up, and I was craving fennel, so that's why this particular combination came about.

I served it with sausage, a fairly new one on the Swedish market called Txistorra. It's subtly flavored with tomato and thyme, and went very well with the veggies.

Baked Sliced Vegetables
Serves 2, generously

3 small potatoes
2 small zucchinis
1 small fennel bulb
1 tomato
olive oil
flaky sea salt
75 g feta cheese, diced

Heat the oven to 200°C.

Slice all the veggies very thinly. (A mandolin is very helpful.) Place potatoes and zucchini in small oven-proof dishes (or one large), alternating as you go and making sure that they're pretty much standing up. Add fennel and tomato at regular intervals.

Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the veggies have softened. Add the cheese, and bake for 10 more minutes so that the cheese softens and browns slightly.

Recipe in Swedish:
Ugnsbakade grönsaksskivor

4 comments:

LisaRene said...

This is a wonderful presentation! It would be a great way to serve veggies at a dinner party with everyone getting their own.

Bokomaten.. said...

I make this all the time! I wasn´t awere that it was actually a dish an not just a way to heat up the veggies för dinner when it´s cold out side.:) I recommend to heat up a lot of egg plant, tomatoes and potatoes mixed. Quite thin slices of potatoes though.

Jeanne said...

Do you have a video surveillance camera in my kitchen?? I have a couple of zucchini and a bulb of fennel AND half a block of feta that need using up! And Nick is out tonight, so this could be the perfect girly dinner - hurrah!

Anonymous said...

Roasting vegetables is underrated. Too many people prefer to boil them into unrecognizability(I swear that's a word).

They never understand how much flavor a little carmalization can add.