Sunday, December 23, 2007

Nut Truffle Cake

nut truffle cake

You probably have your christmas dessert all planned out by now. If you don't, however, this cake is great. It'll serve many people (at least 10-12) and it's the perfect end to a perfect meal.

I made it for Thanksgiving, and won't be making it for christmas - instead, my mom has requested crème brulée, so I suppose I better get started on those...

Nut Truffle Cake

Cake:
100 g mixed nuts - I used pistachios, walnuts, almonds and cashews
1 egg + 1 egg white
140 g sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1,5 tbsp flour

Chocolate Truffle:
200 g dark chocolate
200 ml heavy cream (35-40% fat)
40 g sugar
60 g glucose
80 g butter

Chop the nuts, somewhere between coarse and fine. Beat together the egg, egg white and sugar until frothy, and add the nuts, the flour and the baking powder. Spread in a greased springform tin (use a piece of parchment paper in the tin, so you're sure to get the cake out) and bake at 175°C for 30-35 minutes.

Let the cake cool, then remove from the tin. Wash and dry the tin, and put the cake back.

Melt the chocolate with the cream, glucose and sugar, either in a waterbath or in the microwave. (I always use the microwave.) When it's melted, add the butter a little by little, and stir until it's melted. If you're using unsalted butter, add a small pinch of salt.

Pour this over the nut cake, in the tin. Wrap the tin in plastic foil and place in the fridge until the truffle has set properly - at least for a few hours. You can now serve the cake, keep it in the fridge for a few days, or freeze it. Just let it sit at room temperature a little while before serving. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream, or crème frâiche.

Recipe in Swedish:
Nöttryffeltårta

5 comments:

Brilynn said...

Anything with the word truffle in it has got to be good! Looks great!

Chris said...

Anne, this looks decadent! If not for the holidays, I will find a time to make it...:)

Puhvis Kukk said...

what do you mean by glucose?

Anne said...

h, glucose as in the candy making supply? It's sold here in specialty baking stores, or at the pharmacy. I *think* corn syrup is quite similar, but I haven't tried it in this recipe so I don't dare say that it works...

Anonymous said...

Oh, I think I can come up with any old excuse to make this -- even though I'm not crazy for the sweet stuff. But the cake looks mighty fine.