Friday, September 07, 2007

An old favorite!

beetsalad

I don't re-post recipes all that often, so forgive for this one. It's just that this little salad is so perfect now that fall has arrived, it's the perfect thing to take you from summer to autumn in one smooth transition. I heartily recommend it.

Besides, I like the new photo a lot better!

Beet Salad
Serves 3-4

1 bag (about 100 g) of rocket or baby spinach
4-5 medium beets
150 g cheese - feta, chèvre or blue cheese, crumbled (blue cheese is the very best here)
100 ml (a little less than 1/2 cup) wheat berries
140 g bacon, diced
50 g cashew nuts

Dressing:
2-3 tbsp neutral oil
1/2 lemon, the juice
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1-2 tsp dijon mustard

Boil the beets - unpeeled - until soft. It'll take about 30-60 minutes depending on size, so make sure you check them. Small ones are done even faster. Peel (the peel is very soft, just rub them) the beets and cut into wedges. Meanwhile, boil the wheat berries according to instructions on the packet.

Rinse the rocket or spinach. Fry the bacon until crispy. Whisk together all ingredients for the dressing - and then it's all just a matter of assembly.

7 comments:

Honeybee said...

I'm sure glad you reposted it because I hadn't seen it first time round and it looks very appetizing! I love beets and blue cheese so this one is perfect for me.

Anonymous said...

hi there!your blog is simply delicious, and your cats are so cute!I will definetely come back....hugs from italy!
lyndea

Pia K said...

Oh yes, beetroots and feta are really a match made in food heaven, can never go wrong with that! To sprinkle with sunflowerseeds is a really nice way to add some extra crunchiness too:)

Anonymous said...

Ooh, yum. I love the combo of beets and cheese (especially blue or goat), but I had never thought to add the nuts, or especially the wheatberries! This is going on my list of things to try...

Kevin said...

Anne,
I make a very similar salad. The contrast of the feta and beets is really good.

BC said...

Ummm, beets and blue cheese. Your pictures are fantastic.

Homemade Heaven said...

What a perfect lunch. I could est my screen. Thanks again for the lovely site.