Monday, August 13, 2007

Gooseberry Elderflower Curd

marang-krusbarscurd

When I grew up, we had gooseberries on our driveway. Well, technically I think the bushes were in the neighbors yard, but I firmly believed that whatever happened to hang over into our yard, was mine. I don't have any gooseberry bushes anymore, but I sometimes miss their intensely sour skin and sweet sugary insides. And when I found this recipe for gooseberry curd with elderflower, in BBC Good Food, I knew I had to get some. Lucky me - Kinna who has a lovely blog (in Swedish) and her mom gave me a huge bag of freshly picked berries! And most of them made it into this nice curd. (And some into a very, very good meringue pie!)

Do try this, if you happen to have any gooseberries! It's a sweet curd - not as sharp as lemon - but you can probably reduce the amount of sugar a little if you want something a little less sweet. I love this served over strawberries that have been left to macerate in some elderflower cordial, with meringues and mascarpone-vanilla-yogurt cream. Delicious! I also used up one of my jars for a lovely raspberry meringue semifreddo, but I'll tell you about that another day. (Yes, I do have quite a backlog!)

Oh - and if you don't have homemade vanilla sugar (if you read this blog regularly, you totally should by now!) - just use regular sugar and the seeds from 1/2-1 vanilla bean.)

Gooseberry Elderflower Curd
makes 2 small jars

500 g gooseberries
100 ml water
140 g homemade vanilla sugar
100 g sugar
3 tbsp elderflower cordial
85 g cold butter, diced
3 eggs, beaten

Mix the berries and the water in a pot. Boil for five minutes, until the berries burst and are soft. Press through a sieve.

Add the sugars, the cordial, butter and beaten egg to the gooseberry purée. Put the bowl on a pan of barely simmering water, and stir constantly until the curd has thickened. This will take about 20 minutes.

Pour into cleaned and preferrably sterilized jars. Keep them in the fridge, or the curd won't thicken as much as it should. Use quickly once you open them - they won't keep for very long because of the eggs and butter.

Recept på engelska:
Krusbärscurd med fläder

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Now THIS sounds truly amazing. Will have to go on a gooseberry hunt.

Deborah said...

This sounds fantastic, although I don't think I've ever tried a gooseberry before. There are so many things out there I want to try!!

Anonymous said...

Hello! Vart försvann din knäckebröd recept...? Det låtade mycket gott!

Anh said...

Anne, this is simply wonderful!

Anne said...

Tiv - here's the permalink:
http://annesfood.blogspot.com/2007/08/swedish-crisp-bread-with-caraway.html

Kinna Jonsson said...

Jag hade glömt bort att du fick en påse. Nu måste jag ju också försöka prova receptet. =)