Friday, May 04, 2007

Bacon-wrapped Artichokes

bacon-artichoke

Friday! How about an easy appetizer - perfect to serve with drinks! The recipe is from my favorite culinary mystery writer, Diane Mott Davidson. It appeared in a book called "The Main Corpse" - very nice. I like the whole series a lot - they're really fun to read, and the food sounds delicious, too. I've tried a few recipes, but surprisingly few really. I should try more!

Anyway. Line your pan before making these, or they can be a bit hard to pry off.

Bacon-wrapped Artichokes

1 can of artichoke bottoms
140 g bacon

Dipping sauce:
3 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp heavy cream

Cut the bottoms into six wedges each. Cut the bacon in the same amount of pieces, and wrap the artichoke pieces in these. Put in a lined oven-proof pan and bake at 200°C for 10-15 minutes or until the bacon looks crispy. Place a cocktail stick in each and serve.

Stir together cream and mustard, and serve in a small bowl alongside.

Recipe in Swedish:
Baconlindade kronärtskocksbottnar

6 comments:

winedeb said...

Anne, do the artichokes get soggy when they are cooked with the bacon? It sounds very different and I love different combinations.

Anne said...

Deb, if anything, they firm up a bit. Definitely not soggy :)

Rachael Narins said...

Simple and I bet, delicious! I would have never thought of such a thing, thanks!

Brilynn said...

Just add bacon and I'm there!

Deborah said...

These sound wonderful! My family makes an appetizer with water chestnuts wrapped in bacon - but I LOVE artichokes, so this is probably divine!!

Anonymous said...

I love Diane Mott Davidson's books! :D Just finished "Double Shot", "Prime Cut", and "Chopping Spree". :D

I'm very tempted to try her recipes once I get my own kitchen in September. (Gotta love moving continents!)