Friday, March 09, 2007

Healthy Bread with Hazelnuts & Honey

apple-hazelnutbread

Here's a real gem of a bread. I recently started trying out recipes with baking soda instead of yeast, and this is the best I've encountered so far. It's very adaptable, but so far I've just tried it two ways - once with a grated apple, and once with lingonberry jam. Both were fabulous. You can swap seeds and flour to your liking - I like to use a bit more linseed and less sunflower seeds.

I used Swedish sour milk, but you can use buttermilk, or neutral yogurt. These recipes are old, and are based on the principle "take whatever you have" and thus you'd throw in even your old milk. Feel free to substitute and play with this.

It won't look like a dough at all - but just stir everything into a thick batter, pour into a well-greased pan (I can NOT emphasize that enough, grease it!!) and bake. I like to divide the loaf in halve, freeze it and then take out one half at a time. It keeps very well.

Everything is measured with a deciliter measure - that's 10 ml, or a tenth of a liter. It's also about 0.4 cups. I haven't tried, but I'm betting you could use 1/2 cup measure instead for this recipe, and just increase the liquid a little bit. Or just use a scant half cup, and you'll be fine.

Healthy Bread with Hazelnuts
1 loaf

1 dl (100 ml) rolled oats
5 dl (500 ml, 2 cups) spelt flour
1 dl (100 ml) buckwheat "flakes" (like rolled oats, but buckwheat)
1/2 dl (50 ml) linseed
1/2 dl (50 ml) sunflower seeds
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 dl (100 ml) hazelnuts, halved
4 dl (400 ml) sour milk (or yogurt, or buttermilk)
1 dl (100 ml) lingonberry jam OR 1 apple, grated
3 tbsp honey

Stir everything together in a large bowl. Pour into a greased loaf pan, and bake at 200°C for one hour. You might need to cover the pan with foil after half the time, if it looks too dark.

Recipe in Swedish:
Grovt bröd med hasselnötter och honung

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Irish are famous for their soda breads & this is the month to make them in honour of St. Patrick. Thanks for the idea - I'm going to try making a soda bread this week.

Anonymous said...

Looks good, will have to try.

You might want to correct this typo however:
---
Everything is measured with a deciliter measure - that's 10 ml, or a tenth of a liter.
---
Not 10 but 100

Yours
Muumi

FamiljenFriluft said...

Great recipe. I didnt have hazel nuts at home so I used sunflower seeds. They turned green (I guess from the baking soda) but the bread was delicious.

Oh by the way - please contact me - I have an idea if you want to helt me with my food blog.