Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Lingonberry Toffee



I know, I know - I promised this recipe quite a while ago! Better late than never, yeah? Lingonberries are probably not so easy to find outside of Scandinavia, but cranberries are quite similar and I'd definitely give them a go for this recipe. Maybe you have some left over from Thanksgiving dinner?

Happy Thanksgiving by the way, to all those who celebrate. I've actually adopted this lovely holiday for my own family, and will serve a fairly traditional meal on Sunday. I like to be thankful for having such great family, and I'm glad to be able to gather them all (most, anyway) together for this. It'll be the third year running - and since we don't really spend christmas together, it's nice to get together a bit earlier.

Lingonberry Toffee

250 g lingonberries
300 ml sugar (1 cup plus 3 tbsp)
100 ml cream (35-40% fat)
50 g butter

Use a blender to liquidise the lingonberries, and press them through a sieve to get rid of any big pieces. Pour into a small pot, and add sugar, cream and butter. Bring to a boil. Stirring all the time, bring the mixture up to 125°C, or until a small sample dropped into a bowl of cold water can easily be rolled into a firm ball. Beware that it takes a lot of time at first, but then the temperature will rise very fast - you really have to watch it. I can't tell you how long it will take, as it will depend greatly on your stove and the pot you use. (The larger the surface, the faster it will be.)

Pour the toffee in a buttered dish, and let it cool overnight. Cut into pieces, and either wrap them in paper or dip in chocolate. Keep in the fridge.



The recipe in Swedish:
Lingonkola

12 comments:

The Öbergs said...

YUMMY!! I am certainly going to try this - and will dip it in chocolate too! Happy Thanksgiving, Anne - hope to see you soon.

Anonymous said...

Anne, thanks again for sending me the yummy lingonberry toffee. It was great!

Brilynn said...

I've never seen ligonberries around here, but I'd love to try this recipe with cranberries or maybe sour cherries...

Nikki said...

Sounds and looks yummy! When you say "let it cool overnight" - does that mean in the frig, or... ?
Thanks!

Anne said...

Monica - same to you!! :)

Dagmar, you're very welcome!

Brilynn - ooh, sour cherries! Do try that and let me know how it turns out, sounds very yummy!

Nikki - right, in the fridge! Or if you're lucky enough to have a cooling cupboard or something like that, that will work too.

Ehva said...

Tack för det här receptet ska prova...kram syrran

Anonymous said...

I'll have to try this... No lingonberries in France of course, but there are always cranberries to buy around Christmas.
I never knew what to make with them but - now I do!

Krokofanten said...

Well, I have no difficulties in finding Lingonberries in France... Picard (frozen) or IKEA... (as usual)
Are one supposed to use Lingonberry"jam" or just lingonberries straight off the bush(?) tree(?) What on earth could that be called in English...
I'll try it out this weekend...

Anne said...

Krokofanten - definitely NOT lingonberry jam, just straight lingonberries. Frozen should work out fine though! :)

Anonymous said...

Hej Anne

Many thanks for a great recipe. I didn't have any lingonberries (and you can't buy them here in the UK where I live), but I did have some blackcurrants in the freezer and so I used those instead. And the result was great. Åsa

Helene said...

These look great. Anything toffee rocks. I kno I'll never find lingonberries here, but I can manage sour cherries. Dagmar is one lucky blogger!

Anonymous said...

Interesting! That's a recipe I definitely will try.

http://www.foodetc.se