Thursday, October 19, 2006

Pea Soup with Sweet Potatoes and Serrano Ham



Pea soup is very traditional in Sweden, and is always eaten on Thursdays, followed by a dessert of thin pancakes with whipped cream and jam. I've never been a fan - well, the pancakes were good enough, but the pea soup? Not so much. However, a few years ago I tried making my own and realised that it wasn't half bad. And I experimented a bit and came up with this one, which is actually quite nice. It doesn't photograph well, I realise that. Also, it's more of a thick stew than a soup, but it can be thinned out if you prefer that. As it was, both Per and I liked it.

You need to prepare this the night before, or in the morning if you're having it for dinner - the peas must be soaked for about 12 hours.

Pea Soup with Sweet Potatoes and Serrano Ham
Serves 2-3

150 g yellow peas, dried
1 medium sweet potato, diced
800 ml water
salt
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp dried sage
1 stock cube (vegetable)
salt
pepper
80 g serrano ham
olive oil

Rinse the peas and soak them overnight. Discard the soaking water.

Bring the 800 ml of water to a boil, add some salt and the peas. Cover and cook for about 45 minutes. Add onion, sage and apple cider vinegar, and half of the diced sweet potato. Cook for about 30 more minutes, or until both the sweet potato and the peas are soft.

Meanwhile, fry the rest of the sweet potato in a bit of oil until they're nicely browned. Fry the serrano ham in oil too, until it's crispy. (Just moments!)

Mash the soup a bit with a large wooden spoon and add water if you want it to be thinner. Serve topped with the fried sweet potato and the ham.

Ärtsoppa med sötpotatis och serranoskinka

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks heavenly to me! johan would hate it though, he complains about the pea soup thursdays at school!

Pille said...

I make a very similar soup, just a little bit thinner, I guess. It's very common here, too. I really love it, and now that I'm back in Estonia, will be cooking this to keep myself warm during the winter.

Anonymous said...

I'd love a bowl full! I think here in the U.S. it would be considered a type of chowder since it uses potato to thicken it. Hmmm...I wonder how this would work with sweet corn instead...
Now I'm getting hungry, and I just ate! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

You forgot the warm punsch ;). I love punsch, as for the pea soup though - not so much. Have had it too much. But pancakes, jam and punsch, anyday anytime :).