Saturday, December 31, 2005

Chèvre Grape Salad for the new year



Happy New Year! This year has been wonderful for me - and I hope all my readers feel the same way. I've had so much happening - the big thing: my wedding. I'm so very thankful for having found the one I plan to spend the rest of my life with, and having married him feels wonderful. I've also had the opportunity to travel a bit this year - to Paris, London and Spain - lovely. And of course, I've developed this blog quite a bit. Something which I plan to keep on doing next year, for sure.

I have very easygoing plans for this New Year's Eve - me and Per are going to a friend's house for dinner. I can't wait - her boyfriend is a great cook, and I happen to know they just bought an ice cream maker...

Now, for a recipe. This salad is one of the best I've ever eaten. Really. The flavor combination is incredible. The recipe comes from Jamie Oliver's Jamie's Kitchen cookbook, and he says that you should use fresh tarragon. Well, I rarely have that. (very rarely, indeed.) So, I use rocket instead, and I use some dried tarragon thrown in with the vinegar. Excellent. By all means, use fresh tarragon if you have it - at least try it that way, you might find it a little intense - but this way is very nice too. It makes a really, really good starter - or a great dinner all by itself if you're not so hungry. Do try it!

Chèvre Grape Salad
Serves 2 as a light main course, or 4 as a starter

3-4 shallots, finely sliced
good white vinegar, 4-5 tbsp
1 tsp dried tarragon
4-5 tbsp olive oil
2 large handfuls of rocket, washed and dried
2 bunches of seedless grapes, sliced in half
150 g chèvre cheese
salt, freshly ground black pepper

Start by placing the sliced shallots in a small bowl. Cover with the vinegar and add the dried tarragon. Let stand for at least fifteen minutes. This makes the shallots incredibly crunchy and almost pickled.

Place the rocket and the grapes in a large bowl. Add the shallots and their vinegar, add the olive oil. Toss. Season with a little salt and freshly ground pepper if you'd like. Divide unto plates, and sprinkle with crumbled chèvre.

Sallad med Chèvre och druvor

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did this as a sideorder
when I made a vegetarian lasagna.
The guests loved it soo much.
Thankyou for the recepie.

Alexandra from Småland

Anne said...

Yeay, I'm glad you liked it! It's definitely one of my favorites.