Friday, September 02, 2005

Caesar Salad



I LOVE Ceasar Salad! It's one of my favorite dishes, and I'll often order it if we're eating out. However, I've never before attempted it on my own. Something about it has always scared me. The anchovy, probably. And the heavy whisking. Anyway, I recently got a recipe that looked do-able, and I decided to give it a go. Results? Bliss! It wasn't the best I've ever tried, sure, but it was certainly a fine start. And I'll gladly eat it again. But, please, if you have a stellar recipe for caesar dressing - do share! I'd love to hear it.

Ceasar dressing

Put one egg yolk in a small bowl. Whisk heavily while adding rougly 100 ml of olive oil, a little at a time. What really helped here was an immersion blender - I strongly recommend having one, and using it for this. It helps the emulsification! Then, add 1 minced clove of garlic, 2 tiny anchovy fillets (For Swedes - use "sardeller i olja" and NOT "ansjovis".) and blitz again. Add about a handful of parmesan.

Toss with romaine lettuce and homemade crutons.

Crutons
Slightly stale bread, cut into large dice
olive oil
salt

Toss bread dice with olive oil. Either fry in a pan, or - easier - bake in a 175 degree (350F) oven for 10-12 minutes. Simple!

5 comments:

A said...

You have good taste. Very much like mine :-) I loove caesar salad, and this summer we've made it from scratch a couple of times, with good result. It's a pity it isn't the helthiest of salads, if it was less fat I could eat it daily...

Anonymous said...

Anne, såg att du tittat förbi och lämnat tassavtryck hos oss på Matlust (http://matlust.ifokus.se). Kom snart tillbaks igen! Vilken fantastisk sida du har - jag blir hungrig bara jag tittar på den!

Hälsningar
Pernilla,
sajtvärd och matmonster

Farmgirl Susan said...

That does sound easy. And it looks delish! : )

Anonymous said...

No lemon juice? It's essential for Caesar, used instead of vinegar. It really brightens the flavor and goes brilliantly with the garlic.

Anonymous said...

Hej, Anne!
I published my version of the Caesar salad in my blog (it was one of my first entries). I used to do it at the Athenaeum Hotel in London and everybody seemed to like it. It's a bit different from yours, do try it!
Gaby