Sunday, September 25, 2005

Bakery Girls



Cute name, isn't it? It's the fantastic bread I blogged about a couple of days ago. I did a reasonable version of them at home, so I thought I'd share the recipe. This is a very dark and dense bread, with a lot of chew. You could top it with anything - I chose flax and pumpkin seed - but it was a bit hard to get it to stick. Next time, I think I'll just add more goodies to the dough. And a Kitchen-Aid really helps here, you need to work it a lot to develop the gluten.

Bakery Girls
12

2 dl (0.8 cup) crushed rye
2 dl boiling water
500 ml tepid water
50 g fresh yeast
40 g sour dough
2,5 dl (1 cup) wheat flour
5 dl (2 cups) rye flour
1 tablespoon salt

You need to start the night before, by combining the crushed rye and the boiling water. Cover, and let stand over night.

Next day, let the yeast dissolve in the water. Add the salt and the sourdough. Add the crushed rye and the flour, and mix in a Kitchen-Aid for five minutes. Let rest for fifteen. Again, work for five minutes, and rest for fifteen. The dough will be very sticky. Turn out on a well-floured workface and form skinny batons, about 5 by 10 centimeters. Place on a cookie sheet, cover, and proof for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 250 degrees C, but when you place the first sheet in the oven, immediately reduce to 225 degrees. Bake for 15 minutes.



And this is what you get if you let your cats walk all over the bread as they're proofing. I don't recommend this.

1 comment:

Shelly said...

OH MY THAT LOOKS SO GOOD! I cant wait to try your bread! I LOVE PEPITAS! ( pumpkin kernels ) I have never thought of doing that with them, I usually just eat them toasted or in a salad!