Monday, April 18, 2005

Bruschetta



Ah, bruschetta! Nothing announces summer like a bruschetta, in my humble opinion. Summer is pretty far away here in Sweden, but that didn't stop me from making a glorious bruschetta the other night, as a small appetizer. I recently bought Nancy Silverton's Sandwich Book and reading it sure got me in the right mood for something - anything - on bread. And we just happened to have some leftover slices of baguette. And some cherry tomatoes begging to be used up... (Funny, I almost always write "cheery tomatoes", and have to correct myself. But, they are pretty cheery, don't you think?)

Bruschetta
Serves 3

3 slices of baguette
3 heaped teaspoons of pesto
1 clove of garlic
10-15 cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 - 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar of your choice - I use raspberry balsamic vinegar
small glug of olive oil
pinch of sugar
pinch of salt
good grind of black pepper

Divide the garlic clove in two halves. Chop one half finely, and put in a bowl. Add the tomatoes, onion, vinegar, oil, sugar and spices. Toast the bread, and rub with the other half of the garlic clove. Pile on about a teaspoon of pesto for each piece of bread, and spread it out a little.Add the topping - and that's it.

No comments: