Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Dinner thanks to Donna

We had decided on chicken for dinner last night. I thought I'd do my normal, boring, no-special-flavoring roast chicken, but then as I was reading my blogroll, I came across this wonderful post by Donna of There's a Chef in my Kitchen. It's for French Chicken in Vinegar sauce, and the moment I saw it I knew I had to make it.

Very, very big success. It was really good, a perfect mix of flavors to accompany the succulent meat. I made four medium chicken thighs, and followed the proportions for the sauce - excellent results. I think I'll up the vinegar and brown sugar a little bit next time, I'd like a little fuller flavor, but it was great as it was too. Definitely a recipe to keep!

We made rice to go with it. Per is not a polenta fan, and I didn't feel like fussing about with it just for me. However, I also made a corn pudding. I've made one before, from Nigella Bites, and that one is fabulous - but it's also loaded with heavy cream and not something for everyday eating. So, I checked around for various recipes, and finally settled on this recipe, called Grandma Lele's Corn Pudding. I followed the directions, except that I skipped the Ritz crackers and I substituted creamed corn (sadly, it can't be found here) with one can of corn whizzed in the food processor with a spoonful of creme fraiche. It came out nicely - more like a thick oven-baked pancake with corn rather than the corn pudding I knew from Nigella, but really tasty. And low-fat!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Anne! I loved the idea of corn pudding, too. Brilliant. And, thanks for the shout out. Donna

Anonymous said...

This recipe was from my Grandma Lele, who was born in Kansas in 1904. It's nice to see that it's made it all the way to Sweden!