Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Crazy-good corn

corn-msg

I first encountered at my cousin's son graduation party. I love corn, but this was.. something extra. I couldn't stop eating it - it was just so creamy, savory and flavorful. I had to know what was in it.

I kind of wish I hadn't asked, because the answer? Corn, leeks, crème fraîche and... MSG. Well, not straight MSG,  but close enough - the Swedish spice mix Aromat, which is mostly salt and MSG. I don't think I've ever owned a jar before, but this made me run to the store to get some.

MSG might not be the best thing to eat though, I realize that this will be a very occasional treat. But a treat nonetheless!

If you want to give it a try - I used two small cans of corn, 200 ml crème fraîche, half of a large leek and a few tablespoons of the spice mix.

6 comments:

Tina said...

You just mix it all together? Not heating it up or anything? It does sound delicious :)

Anne said...

Yes, just stir it all together :) It's way too good.

Phil said...

I love corn and I'd really like to try if it's there but I just can't bring myself to make it due to the fat content....lol....if I made it I would eat it all and its not good...

LoLy said...

I LOVE corn with anythung, it makes me feel good instantly :D

مطبخ رمضان said...

thanks alot very much

Nikki said...

DOES sound yummy. I have a similar favorite, also delish, in case you want to try it. Requires baking, though.

8 oz Philadelphia cream cheese, ½ c milk, 2 cans corn, drained, 1 small can green chili’s, NOT drained, ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp cayenne pepper.

Over low heat, melt cheese in milk. Add rest of ingredients. Bake uncovered at 325F for 20-30 minutes or til bubbly.