Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookies, revisited

soft chocolate chip cookies

Cookies is probably my favorite thing to make - so quick, so fun, so tasty. And I always look for new recipes. But as for chewy chocolate chip cookies.. I might just stop looking. Because I doubt they can get any better than these.

This recipe comes from Eric Wolitsky, who was on Top Chef Just Desserts, via Amateur Gourmet.  It is nothing short of fabulous. And SO quick! I never have the foresight to have room temperatur butter, so this recipe which uses melted is perfect for me. I actually whipped up a batch to bring to our preschool this morning, before breakfast. It's that easy.

And I guess you can mix in anything you'd like. I've just used chocolate chips so far, but I imagine it'll be a great base for more elaborate flavors as well. I'm a sucker for sweet and salty, so I think I'll try pretzels soon, and definitely some toasted nuts.

Eric's Chocolate Chip Cookies
170 g butter, melted
100 g sugar
200 g brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
300 g flour
1/2 tbsp salt
1/2 tbsp baking soda
250 g dark chocolate chips

Mix the butter with the two sugars until combined. Add the egg and egg yolk and mix again. Stir in flour, salt and baking soda, and mix until it's just combined. Finally add the chocolate, and mix again.

Place large scoops on a baking sheet and bake at 160°C for 12-14 minutes. (I use a convection oven, if yours is not, you might want a slightly higher temperature.) Let the cookies set before attempting to move them. (For smaller cookies, you don't need more than 10 minutes.)

And as always, I heartily recommend freezing the scooped-out cookie dough, and then baking from frozen. You might need an extra minute or two in the oven.

2 comments:

Spencer said...

Looks like a great recipe! I would love to try some. I can't resist a good cookie.

LoLy said...

NOTHING in the world beats a good cookie :D