Monday, November 07, 2011

Corn Pancakes

cornpancakes

Whenever Per is out of town - and he has been quite a lot this fall - Titus and I have pancakes for dinner. It's quick, he can help me, and it's guaranteed to be a hit. I'm always looking for variations to try though (although I do love my basic recipe) and when I saw Smitten Kithen's corn pancakes, I knew that was something to try.

titus-110926-4
Titus LOVES pancakes! And corn! This was a huge hit!

I ended up adjusting the recipe a bit, but it turned out to be absolutely delicious. A little more "foody" than plan pancakes, and therefor great for dinner. Bacon would have been good with these, but we were happy with butter and (plenty of) maple syrup.

Corn Pancakes
12 small pancakes

1 tbsp butter
about 200 ml corn kernels (I used frozen)
1 egg
200 ml filmjolk or buttermilk
100 ml thick, turkish or greek style, yogurt (or just more filmjolk/buttermilk)
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
200 ml all-purpose flour
3 tbsp cornmeal (or finely ground polenta)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

Start by melting the butter, and fry the corn for 4-5 minutes. They should color slightly. Set aside to cool.

Whisk the egg with your filmjolk or buttermilk, and yogurt, sugar and salt. Add the corn, flour, cornmeal, baking powder and baking soda.

Fry small pancakes on medium heat in butter. Turn over when they start getting small bubbles on top, and look slighty dry around the edges.

Recipe in Swedish:
Majspannkakor

6 comments:

tori said...

How lovely! Corn pancakes are one of my weaknesses; particularly for breakfast with bacon and avocado....

Anonymous said...

Have you tried the "perfect diner pancakes" from the Pioneer Woman's Tasty Kitchen? They have malt added to the batter and they are delicious... Silvia

Anne said...

I haven't, but thanks for the tip!! Not sure I can find malt though, but I'll have a look.

Līga Krista said...

She loves corn, I love pancakes - this will be our dinner for just two of us! Thanks! :)

Michael said...

I've been craving pancakes ALL week and this does not help. Looks absolutely delicious.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Having read the recipe, I can see why your son liked these so much. This is my first visit to your blog, so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. You've created a lovely spot for your readers to visit and I really enjoyed the time I spent here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary