Friday, March 25, 2011

Crispy Waffles

waffles-2011

Today, March 25, is Waffle Day in Sweden and since I've written about it before, I'll be lazy and quote myself:

"Waffle Day actually started as a linguistic misunderstanding - it's Lady Day today (that is, nine months before Jesus was born so.. well, let's not go into details) and in Swedish that's called "Vårfrudagen". That was quickly transformed into "Våffeldagen" which sounds somewhat similar."

I usually use a waffle mix, but I thought I'd do a little better this year and actually make some from scratch. After all, it's easy. And I got a great recipe from my friend Kristina, who's sadly no longer blogging. It seems that everyone has their own recipe for waffles, yet every waffle I've ever tried tastes remarkably similar. Isn't that strange? The recipes vary quite a bit! My mineral water wasn't all that sparkly, so I added a teaspoon of baking powder right before baking, just to get some extra crisp. You can probably omit it.

Anyway. These were great - very light and crispy. And thus perfect for loading with whipped cream and cloudberry jam.

Crispy Waffles
makes at least 12

360 g all-purpose flour
500 ml milk
125 g butter melted
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
200 ml ice cold sparkling water
1 tsp baking powder

Whisk together all ingredients except for the baking powder, and leave for fifteen minutes. (You might be able to leave it for longer, but I think it's better to add the mineral water when you're close to baking.)

Add the baking powder when you're ready to bake.

Bake, using a waffle maker. You might have to grease it slightly before the first waffle. Don't use too much batter, or the waffles won't be as crispy.

Recipe in Swedish:
Frasiga våfflor

4 comments:

Laura said...

we enjoyed our waffles this morning too :)

Alissa Evelyn said...

Yippee, I'll definitely be celebrating with some yummy coconut flour waffles!

hppmfoodbloggers said...

Looks yummy

Hungry City Blog said...

Thank you for sharing this very awesome recipe. We really enjoyed our first Home Made Crispy Waffles yesterday as our breakfast. It so yummy! My Kids love it so much!