Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Dairy- & eggfree Cinnamon Buns

dairyfree-cinnamonrolls

I know baking isn't all that appealing when it's hot, but believe me, it's well worth having cinnamon buns stashed in the freezer! Besides, you can totally bake at night. And the oven is only on for a very brief time anyway - but the rising does take some time. (It's faster when it's warm, though!)

These are standard cinnamon buns - sort of. I made them specifically for a kids party where one of Titus little friends - Nicoline - happens to be allergic to both eggs and dairy. It's fairly common with small children, but apparently they often grow out of it. Anyway, I wanted to make something special for her, and since Titus really, really, REALLY loves cinnamon buns, I thought this would be easy enough to adapt for her. And yes, they were. Sure, butter is better, but other than that, you really couldn't tell. The kids loved them! (No restrictions? Just follow my regular recipe.)

I use an oatmeal-based "milk"-substitute. I haven't tried it with soy or rice milk, but I'm sure it would work as well. It should be as neutral as possible, flavor-wise. Feel free to play with the filling - other spices would be nice, such as vanilla, cardamom and perhaps a dash of nutmeg. You can bake these in individual paper cups, or close together in a pan (and then cut, or break them apart.) They freeze really well, and you can re-heat them for about 30 seconds in the microwave!

Dairy- & eggfree Cinnamon Buns
(printable recipe)
about 40 large buns

50 g fresh yeast
400 ml "milk" from oatmeal
840 g all-purpose flour
180 g sugar (preferrably home made vanilla sugar if you have it)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cardamom
175 g dairy-free margarine, at room temperature, in thin slices

Filling:
150 g dairy-free margarine, at room temperature
150 g sugar
cinnamon

To decorate:
Golden syrup or honey
pearl sugar

Crumble the yeast into a bowl. Add the oatmeal milk and half the flour and work into a soft dough. Leave to rise for two hours, covered. Add in the rest of the flour along with the sugar, salt, cardamom and the margarine. Work into a smooth and supple dough.

Place the dough on a floured surface, cover with a tea towel and leave to rise for 30-60 minutes.

Mix margarine and sugar for the filling - beat well until fully combined.

Divide the dough into two equal parts. Roll each into a large rectangle, about 2 mm thick. Spread with the filling and dust with lots of cinnamon. Roll, starting at one of the long edges, into a tight roll, and slice. Place each slice in a paper liner, or in a buttered oven-proof dish. Leave to rise for 30 minutes.

Drizzle with a little golden syrup or honey, and decorate with pearl sugar.

Bake at 250°C for about 8 minutes.

Recipe in Swedish:
Mjölk- och äggfria kanelbullar

9 comments:

Jessica said...

you can also use rice- or soymilk. If you can tolerate it you can use nut milks.

Phyllis said...

In culinary school we had a class that focused on creating menus that worked around people's special diet needs (e.g. diabetes, lactose-intolerance, etc.). We were given many substitutions to sample, and one was milk substitutions. We taste tested soy milk, almond milk, oat milk, and some other type of legume milk. Oat (to me) tasted the closest to real cow's milk.

Anonymous said...

hi, from paris, do u know where to find sweden dishes specialities in Paris except on IKEA?

Anne said...

Logan, that's what I suspected! It was fairly neutral, a bit oat-y. I've had soy milk in coffee before and found it absolutely awful.

Versaillais - sorry, no idea...

Tamsin said...

That's really kind of you to adapt the recipe so everyone can enjoy it. When I was growing up as a diabetic sometimes I wasn't invited to parties because 'it was too difficult' to adapt the food. As you can imagine I got very upset by that! I am always very grateful for my friends' parents who would adapt recipes so I wasn't left out. I think nearly all of my best friends put up with reduced-sugar birthdays throughout their childhood! It always makes me happy to see people making an effort to include everyone; it makes such a difference to the person in question.

Anonymous said...

I use Rice Dreamfor almost everything. At times, I get almond Dream. I don't know if you can get it.

This is a wonderful idea and so thoughtful of you.

Jessica said...

You pretty much have to make your own nut milks here. I make almond milk for my boyfriend all the time.

Cecilia said...

♥ Bless you for adapting this classic recipe! I love cinnamon buns.

You put a smile on this dairy- and egg free vegan's face =D

More dairy-, egg- and gelatin free recipes over on my blog. (In Swedish but just give me a shout and I'll translate)

Al said...

These look good. great post. Thanks for sharing