Thursday, June 10, 2010

Banana Blueberry Bread

banana-blueberrycake-2

Ah, the wrath of the Mystery Produce Box hits again. I, once again, ended up with tons of bananas. Which, again, I don't eat much. (I can enjoy a very under-ripe banana every now and again, but that's it.) And Titus adamantly refuses them, in every form. Except, apparantly, this one. Banana bread was yummy! And especially with the addition of some juicy, plump jumbo blueberries (that were also in the box, by the way).

I've made banana bread before, but haven't been all that happy with the results. This time, I also felt too rebellious to follow a recipe, so I pretty much made one up. I held my breath and... success! Do give this a try - it's really tasty. You can omit the blueberries, or substitute other berries. And as with all banana bread, an addition of some walnuts or pecans wouldn't be bad, or even a smattering of chocolate chips.

Banana Blueberry Bread
(printable recipe)

150 g wholewheat flour (I use spelt)
150 g all-purpose flour
75 g sugar
75 g brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
4 bananas (about 450 g, peeled weight), mashed
100 ml canola oil
100 ml buttermilk (or Swedish filmjolk)
2 eggs
1 vanilla bean
200 g blueberries, fresh

banana-blueberrycake-1

Start by mixing both flours and both sugars with salt and baking soda in a bowl. Mash the bananas and mix with oil, buttermilk and eggs. Score the vanilla bean and scrape out the "caviar" into the wet ingredients and mix well. Add all the wet stuff to the dry ingredients and stir together.

Butter and flour two small bread tins (mine are 8 inches/20 cm) and divide the batter between them. Push the blueberries into the batter, half in each tin.

Bake at 175°C for about 45 minutes.

You can certainly use a larger tin or make muffins, but you do need to adjust the baking time.

banana-blueberrycake-3

Recipe in Swedish:
Banankaka med blåbär

5 comments:

Jenn said...

It's gorgeous! Next time I have bananas and blueberries I am def. making this!!

Mark said...

Looks delicious. Like the idea of studding the blueberries in and then letting the bread rise and bake around it.

Chunk.

Anonymous said...

Those blueberries lined up in the batter like little blue soldiers are hilarious! But the finished bread is gorgeous.
Susan

Louisy said...

I'll give this recipe a try, as i have tried a few banana breads which always come out soggy and heavy. And the blueberries sounds like a good addition.

melsch said...

Yumm, this looks beyond perfect.
I'm good with the banana bread, but I havn't ried this yet. can't wait.
I love your photos, beautifully shot.