Sunday, March 15, 2009

Spinach Bacon Gnocchi

baconspinach-gnocchi

Quick and easy dinners is really it for me right now. I can't stomach the idea of cooking something elaborate - I just can't. It's definitely the pregnancy. I can't seem to hold on to more complicated ideas, and just thinking about making more than two dishes makes me dizzy. (I had a serious meltdown the other night when we were making various asian fingerfood - it just wasn't working the way I'm used to.)

So - expect to see even more recipes like this. Fast. Simple. Few ingredients. And always really tasty.

I use several shortcuts in this dishes. I buy my potato gnocchi ready-made, at the store. By all means, make your own if you're so inclined. (Since that one time I tried and ended up with a gluey mass, I'll stick to store-bought for now.) Same for the sauce. I happen to love one of the ready-made cheese sauces available here (Kelda!) but you can certainly make a basic bechamel sauce and flavor it with whatever cheese you want. Or you can even skip the sauce altogether, but I like my gnocchi a bit saucy.

Spinach Bacon Gnocchi
serves 2

2 servings potato gnocchi
200 ml cheese sauce
140 g bacon, diced
80 g baby spinach
100 g button mushrooms
parmesan, grated
salt, pepper

Bring a pot of water to boil. Fry the bacon until crispy. Add the mushrooms and fry until they've colored a bit. Add the spinach and the cheese sauce and let it cook for a minute or so.

Boil the gnocchi until it floats to the top, which it will when it's done. Add this to the frying pan, stir everything together and add some grated parmesan. Season with salt and pepper as needed.

Recipe in Swedish:
Gnocchi med spenat och bacon

4 comments:

The Dream Queen said...

This is making my mouth water! Also, I wanted to say congrats on the pregnancy! I've been reading your blog for a few years now and just love it!

Anonymous said...

I second the motion! its really mouth watering yum yum!

Anne said...

Sweet bait, thank you so much :)

Joanne - it's so easy and surprisingly tasty :)

Joanne Mitchell said...

Hi! I noticed that my website isn't appearing well just in case you want to read what I think about food being the food buff that I also am. Cheers!