Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Leg of lamb

carving-lamb-0809

A bone-in leg of lamb is pretty hard to carve up, as we discovered. But it tasted great. This particular lamb was raised by a friend of mine, and I knew it had a good life not very far from here. That might contribute some to the flavor - I don't know. What definitely help was a rubbing with olive oil, finely chopped rosemary and sage, and some scattered thyme and garlic slices in the roasting pan. I put it in the oven at a fairly low temperature - about 125°C - and let it sit until the meat thermometer showed 65°C.

It was *really* fast, a lot faster than I had expected - less than an hour for a two-kilo leg! So, I removed it, let it sit at room temperature for about an hour, then gave it a final 20 minutes in a 200°C oven to heat it up and cook just slightly more. It turned out really tender, so good move! Next time, I'll cook it at an even lower temperature, for longer.

3 comments:

AstridVU said...

Talking about lamb... Have you tried the norwegian speciality får-i-kål? Lamb-in-cabbage ;) What do you think?

Anne said...

Astrid, I actually haven't! :) Do you have a good recipe for it?

Anonymous said...

Astrid is just trying to pull your leg (of lamb).