Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Jalapeño Cheese Puffs

jalapeno-cheesepuffs

This is basically a recipe for savory choux paste, or gougeres as they're often called. What they are? Cheese puffs. With chilis. And they're delicious! Great as a snack with beer! (Or non-alcoholic alternatives, of course.)

But, if you, like me, have never made choux paste before... be aware that it involves a LOT of stirring. Much much much more than I expected. With my shoulder being out of commission, I was lucky to have both Dagmar and Lena take turns stirring this very thick dough, and it took all of my strength to pipe these little darlings out. (Use a fairly large pastry tip - I didn't, and it was a pain.)

It's all worth it though. They're very tasty. Use any sharp cheese you like. I particularly like Västerbotten Cheese, but if you can't get that, try a sharp cheddar, perhaps. A strong parmesan would also be good.

Jalapeño Cheese Puffs
Makes about one baking sheet full
Recipe from Kryddburken

50 g butter
200 ml water
120 g flour
3 eggs
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp finely chopped pickled jalapeño peppers
100 g shredded sharp cheese
cayenne pepper

Melt the butter in a small saucepan and add the cold water. Bring to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the flour. Beat with a wooden spoon until the dough pulls away from the sides of the pan, and let it cool slightly.

Next, add the eggs, one at a time, and beat well in between each. This will really be hard work, but it will eventually become a nice, cohesive dough. Add the cheese and the chili, and stir one final time.

Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a pretty big tip, and pipe balls directly onto a lined baking sheet. Bake at 200°C for 15 minutes - best in a convection oven if you have it - and do NOT open the oven door while baking or they'll fall.

Dust with cayenne pepper or paprika, and serve straight away.

Recipe in Swedish:
Ostpuffar med chili

15 comments:

glamah16 said...

Oh yumm.

Dagmar said...

I've lost track of how many times I've made these. Everyone loves them. And I agree on that a large tip helps a lot :-) And it gets easier to make them every time - or maybe I'm just getting stronger :-)

Katie said...

These look great. I have never had a savoury choux bun before. I bet they would make great canapes.

Alicia Foodycat said...

I can practically taste them now! They would be so good with a glass of something cold!

Anonymous said...

Hey, these jalapeno cheese puffs look great! I'll have to try this recipe very soon. Keep up the good jalapeno work! I just love jalapeno recipes.

Anonymous said...

I've made this dozens of times. After the dough forms a ball, put ball in a food processor. Mix in eggs one at a time till well blended. Continue with recipe. Sure is a lot easier on your arm.

Anonymous said...

I've made this dozens of times. After the dough forms a ball, put ball in a food processor. Mix in eggs one at a time till well blended. Continue with recipe. Sure is a lot easier on your arm.

Sindia said...

I've just come across this recipe and it sounds AMAZING! Is there any way to make that "dough" ahead of time and keep refrigerated until ready to bake?

Anne said...

Sindia, I hope someone else have an answer for you, because unfortunately I don't know.

Anonymous said...

Can someone convert this to diifferent measurements? not metric

Anne said...

Anonymous - google is your friend.. :)

Approximations: 1/2 stick butter, 3/4 cup plus 1 tbsp water, 1/2 cup flour, 3 oz cheese. Should be close enough, I just did top of my head conversion. :)

Anonymous said...

How many puffs does this recipe make (approx)?

Anne said...

It really depends on how large you make them - a lot? I don't remember exactly, probably around 50 - 60?

cdollar86 said...

I just tried to make these, and the dough was so runny I could hardly get it on to the baking sheet. Have I not stirred the dough long enough? I was stirring for over 10 minutes and it didn't stiffen up!

Anne said...

Sorry to hear that - I wonder what's wrong though? When I've made this, it's really thick and stiff from the start, and doesn't change texture much during the stirring.