Saturday, December 08, 2007

Christmas Candy: Rocky Road

leilasrockyroad

My first christmas candy this year! (Well, not counting those delicious espresso caramels - I'll try to make another batch of those.) This idea comes from Swedish cook Leila Lindholm, who is pretty much Sweden's answer to Nigella Lawson. I don't watch the show - I always miss it, incredible really - but her books are lovely, and her recipes are always good. I changed the quantities here to make a small batch rather than a big one, but it's not a very exact recipe so feel free to change it as you see fit.

Dumle is a Swedish candy, soft chewy caramels with milk chocolate. I believe Rolos are similar? Use whatever soft (but not runny) caramel candy you can find. And do use really dark chocolate, or this will be horribly sweet.

Rocky Road

-175 g dark chocolate
-45 g salted peanuts
-90 g Dumle caramels (cut in half if they're on the large side)
-30 g pistachios (unsalted)
-30 g marshmallows (cut into smaller pieces, or use miniature ones)

Melt the chocolate - in a microwave, or in a double boiler. Stir in everything else. Pour into a lined tin (this makes a pretty small batch, so you need a pretty small tin) and place it in the fridge so it sets. Take it out and cut it into pieces. Store in the fridge - I think it'll melt a bit if it's left out, but I haven't tried.

Recipe in Swedish:
Rocky Road

8 comments:

Feline Flodin said...

Hehe, de där tänkte jag också göra! :D Verkar smaskens - och enkelt. :)

Katie said...

Oh wow that looks delicious and so colourful and full of yummy things. I bet it would make great gifts. I may have to steal the idea myself.

Anonymous said...

Hejsan Anne :)

VI tänker göra den STORA laddningen Rocky Road och ge bort till vänner och bekanta, den verkar supergod och supersöt !
Ha det så bra, Kram, Carola :)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Sounds very decadent Anne!!!! I love the addition of (in our case) Rolo's!

Astra Libris said...

Oh dear, I'm at work, and I am now craving your delicious looking confections... :-)

David Hall said...

Mmm, delish. You could put any nut or dried fruit in here and it would work. The problem of course would be resisiting eating it all in one sitting!

Cheers
David

PS Hope all is well. You were the 1st person I ever contacted when I started Blogging almost 1 year back and remain the 1st person to be linked to. I've never looked back!

Jeanne said...

That looks amazing - the kind of thing I would have fantasised about as a child! I can imagine this with candied ginger, nuts and cherries. Mmmm!

Anonymous said...

Excellent candies! Thanks for sharing!
BtW. Dumbles are famous Finnish candies, old trademark of Fazer ;)