Friday, November 02, 2007

Baked Apple

bakedapple

I feel that sometimes we forget the simple things in life. And in cooking. Often, there's a rush, a strain to always experience new things, exciting things, unusual things. But let's not forget that sometimes, simple and old-fashioned can be just as good. Or even better.

This simple baked apple makes a wonderful dessert on a cold day. Serve it with cold vanilla sauce, or ice cream.

Baked Apple

1 apple, peeled and cored
1-2 tsp butter
1-2 tbsp almonds, chopped
2-3 tsp spice sugar (or use a mix of cinnamon and sugar if you don't have any spice sugar at hand. But you *should* make some!)

Place the apple in a small oven-proof dish. (I use ramekins from Le Creuset.) Push butter and almonds into the hole. Top with the rest of the almonds, if you like me can't fit them all inside. Sprinkle with spice sugar. Bake at 175°C for about 30 minutes, or until the apple is soft.

Recipe in Swedish:
Ugnsbakat äpple

7 comments:

Dagmar said...

Oven baked apples are great, they are so easy to make and yet so tasty. And the varieties are endless as you can pretty much add what you want: different spices, nuts, raisins, dried fruit etc.

Pille said...

We've made oven-baked apples (ahjuõunad) twice this week - such a wonderful comforting dessert:)

Jeanne said...

This has always been one of my favourite comfort food desserts - and so easy. I usually also add some sultanas in the middle of the apple - delicious! Mmmmmm.

Anonymous said...

I loved your recipe on Baked Apple! it really is so well made with lots of thought and very healthy tempting! I just started a video recipe site that shows step by step how to make stuff, www.ifoods.tv and i also started out as a blogger so it's great seeing other bloggers doing well, keep up the good work"

Kimberly Pye said...

I tried out your recipe this weekend as a late-night snack for my husband and me! I didn't have any pecans, so I used walnuts. Still fabulous! Thanks for the recipe!

(And yes, I did make some spiced sugar -- YUM!)

Anonymous said...

I'm planning to try this dish later in the week---I'm so excited for a dessert that doesn't take very long or very many dirty dishes!

Anonymous said...

As a food lover and a big fan of desserts, I'm still too coward to try baking for cakes and cookies yet. Still, I'm able to make something simple and baked apple was one of it. I sometimes make baked pear with rum and raisins too, not bad.