Saturday, May 12, 2007

Eurovision Song Contest

choctrufflecake

No proper blogging today - I'm busy watching the Eurovision Song Contest! Go Sweden!

We've had quite a menu:
-fried Mauritian Beggar's Purses (from the Ethnic Paris Cookbook) with a lime-coriander-chilli sauce (recipe to come!)
-prawn crackers
-nachos and guacamole
-carrot and cucumber sticks with yogurt dipping sauce
-chicken skewers with lime hoisin sauce (recipe to come)
-chèvre toasts with rocket and pine nuts (just rounds of toasts, topped with chèvre, gratinated for a few minutes in a hot oven, sprinkled with toasted pine nuts and fresh rocket)
-giant beans in tomato sauce, stuffed wine rolls and kalamata olives, all from Fontana
-and to finish, a Chocolate Truffle Cake which is also what you see in the picture. Yu-u-um.

5 comments:

thepassionatecook said...

just how bad was this year's event? i have been watching eurovision (almost ) every year since i can remember and it's turning into a real farce. i am going to have to find another "tradition", some other obscure event i can watch year after year with my daughter, but i have vowed not to watch eurovision again. and don't say it's because austria didn't qualify...

Anne said...

Oh, I know. We were SOOO disappointed. Actually, it was ok up until the voting, which was just miserable. All of us were hard-pressed to remember Serbia and Armenia's entries, every single time they got points. :) I was rooting for Ukraine and France (well, and Sweden of course) and that says a lot about the state of the competition. Something has definitely happened - it's no more than a joke now.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, Anne, this is bringing back some memories. I don't think it was called Eurovision, but when I was 13 and living in London, I remember watching this Big Deal European song competion on TV. I have no idea what the winning song was, but I remember the group was Bucks Fizz. I also remember that during that same time, Adam Ant had a huge hit for weeks and weeks, and instead of showing him playing the song live each week, they played this pre-recorded thing. The first music video I believe! I am definitely dating myself. : )

Anyway, thanks for the trip down memory lane. And I guess my invitation to your delicious party got lost in cyberspace. . . : )

Anonymous said...

P.S. Forgot to ask: got any cake left? YUM! : )

Anne said...

Farmgirl - I bet that *was* Eurovision, because Buck's Fizz won in 1981! :) (No, I don't know those sort of things, but Google apparently did.) And there was indeed cake left, I wish you'd have been here to eat it! :)