Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ironman Pasta

ironmanpasta

Pasta, and cheese. If I could just eat one thing for the rest of my life (ok, two), chances are pretty good I'd choose pasta and cheese. We eat something similar to this quite often. You can buy perfectly tasty cheese sauces in the dairy section here - both a mild regular sauce, and a blue cheese sauce. I like to have both at hand in the fridge. If there's not something similar where you live, you'll have to substitute with a freshly made cheese sauce which I'm sure will be very tasty, but involving slightly more effort.

I like to think of the following as "ironman pasta", due to the fact that both broccoli and spinach are high in iron.

This also re-heats very well, I like having it for lunch.

Ironman Pasta
Serves 2-3

dried pasta, about 100 g per person
50 g boiled ham, thinly sliced into strips, or diced
1 small head of broccoli
1 large handful fresh spinach
butter
250 ml (1 cup) of cheese sauce, blue cheese is especially good with the broccoli

Boil the pasta in plenty of lightly salted water.

Divide the broccoli into florets and blanch for 2-3 minutes in salted boiling water. Then immediately transfer to a bowl of very cold water, to stop the cooking. This helps retain the beautiful green color.

Melt the butter in a pan, and fry the spinach and ham for a few minutes. Add broccoli and cheese saucem and finally, the drained pasta.

Very yum.

Recipe in Swedish:
Ironman Pasta

3 comments:

Brilynn said...

I'm with you, I could live on pasta and cheese!

Pamela said...

I vote for that too!!

Anonymous said...

YUM. I could really go for some of this right now. Love the idea of using broccoli and spinach together--I've never thought to do that. : )

P.S. This week's kitten pics are beyond cute!!!!