Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Everything Fried Rice



Here's a little something I whipped up for dinner last night. I was browsing my bookmarks on del.icio.us and felt inspired by this fried rice recipe from Hooked On Heat. I had every intention of following it, but as I started to rummage through my fridge and freezer, finding a left over chicken breast here, a handful of shrimp there, I decided to just let go and create.

Don't be scared by the long ingredients list. And by all means, feel free to substitute, omit and add as you see fit. This is more of a sketch than an actual recipe. But the results were very good, and I happen to be very pleased with the photo, too. (Always a bonus!) And I liked having a balance of color - green beans, yellow sweetcorn, orange carrot, pink shrimp...

Everything Fried Rice
Serves 2-3.

1/2 cup jasmine rice
1 cup water
salt
1 chicken breast, uncooked
handful of shrimp, peeled and cooked (mine were frozen)
100 g haricot verts (frozen is fine)
3 tbsp sweetcorn (frozen is fine
1 onion
1 large carrot
3 cloves of garlic
1 egg
oil
powdered chilli
powdered ginger
powdered coriander
runny honey
soy sauce
black pepper

Start by rinsing the rice, then boiling it in the water. (Don't forget to add a bit of salt.) Poach the chicken breast (just bring water to a boil, add the chicken, let cook slowly for 10-15 minutes. Cut to check doneness.) and cut into small pieces. Finely dice the onion, carrot and garlic. Crack the egg into a bowl, and whisk it around a bit so the yolk breaks.

Heat a large frying pan with a bit of oil. Fry the carrot and the onion. Add chicken and garlic. Season with chilli, coriander and ginger. Add the haricot verts and the corn. Make some room in the pan for the egg, and fry it while stirring so it breaks up into little pieces. Add the rice, and stir well to combine. Add the shrimp. Season with soy sauce, a little bit of honey and lots of black pepper.

Serve with sweet chilli sauce.

Everything fried rice

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

snygg bild!

Pene said...

I think if you check some Asian cookbooks you'll find that "Fried Rice" is made by frying the rice first. Once it is fried in the oil, stock or water is added & the rice cooks covered on a low heat for 15 minutes. While waiting, prepare veges & whatever you want to add. Then add to rice, stir & cover again until everything is heated thru & then serve.

Anne said...

Elin - tack :)

Pene, actually most of my books seem to start with cooked rice. I guess this is a great dish for using up leftovers - except I didn't have any leftover rice, so I started from scratch :) I'll try the other way sometime too, I'm sure it's more original.

Anonymous said...

Åh, fried rice är ju så gott :) Du verkar ha hittat en jättefin kombination. :)

Pene said...

I meant to say that the pink background in your photo gives your photo a real Asian flavour. I like frying the rice first because you only need to use one frypan (as long as it has a lid) or a wok. Therefore less cleaning up after!

Judy said...

The photo is beautiful, and the dish sounds delicious!

Anne said...

Pene, thank you! It's a new favorite of mine. :) And yeah, cleaning up was not so fun with this dish - it would have been a lot easier had I already had rice and chicken, though.

Judy, Karro thank you :)

krista said...

Beautiful picture....the dish sounds yummy!

Meeta K. Wolff said...

WOW! I love Fried rice and this looks delicious. So easy and comforting!

Anonymous said...

I'm from Asian and fried rice is one of our fave dish. I like eating it during breakfast with a hot black coffee.. yummy!

Pene, I never heard that method before. Usually, we use cooked rice to make this dish (exactly like Anne did).

Anne, leftovers will make the fried rice tastier. If not, the taste will be a bit different. I'm no sure why. Try cooking this dish with a leftovers if u hv time =]