Thursday, September 14, 2006

Mini Pavlovas



Brilliant summer dessert - or a dessert for whenever you wish it was still summer. I served them for Midsummer's with whipped cream, fresh strawberries and the best strawberry sauce ever. (Just strawberries with white syrup - but I don't know of white syrup is available outside of Sweden, or at least I have no idea what the equivalent would be. Sorry!)

Fresh berries aren't so much in season here any more, but this would be great using some of the preserves I made this summer. (And maybe you made some, too, dear reader?) Or don't use fruit, and go for whipped cream, shaved dark chocolate and caramel. Mmm. I'm thinking of an autumnal version with cinnamony caramelized apple wedges and vanilla custard.

This particular recipe comes from Nigella, and it's really big - I made it in two batches because I had my doubts about beating that much meringue at a time. If you feel more confident, go right ahead. Also, my oven is not big enough. But other than that, this is really easy to make. You can make them at least a day ahead, just keep them in an air-tight jar. Or freeze them, that works too! The meringue nests will be crisp, yet chewy and fluffy.

Mini Pavlovas
makes about 18 (but some will inevitably break.)

8 egg whites
pinch of salt
500 g sugar
4 tsp corn flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp white wine vinegar

Preheat the oven to 180°C, and line three cookie sheets with parchment paper. Beat the eggwhits with a tiny pinch of salt until they're firm but not stiff. Add the sugar, a little at a time, and beat until you have a wonderful glossy, fluffy meringue. Sprinkle over corn flour, vanilla and vinegar, and gently fold in.

Form little rounds of the batter, about 10 cm across, on the parchment paper. Use the back of a spoon to make them slightly bowl-shaped. (in order to hold more filling, of course.)

Put them in the oven, and lower the heat to 150°C. Bake for 30 minutes, turn off the heat, and bake for 30 minutes more. (At least - an hour or two won't hurt at this stage.) Remove gently from the paper and leave to cool on a rack.

Små Pavlovor

8 comments:

Jessica said...

Pavs are great -- further commentary are redundant :).

Kevin said...

Anne,
I made some coffee-flavored merinques last spring with toasted pine nuts in them -- really good.

Pene said...

I like to make pavlova in the winter when the atmosphere in the house is dry. If it is humid they tend to flop.
A great downunder invention, isn't it??

Anonymous said...

Both me and F loved these! Fantastic!

Anonymous said...

For American readers: I think 'corn flour' must be 'corn starch', not to be mixed up with 'corn meal'??? Just in case some are confused.

Anne, can potatismjöl, potato starch, be used instead?

A-K Roth

Anne said...

A-K - we can actually get both corn flour and corn starch here (sadly not cornmeal though!) and I've used both here. It's seemed to make no difference. Haven't tried it with potato starch though!

Unknown said...

Hey Anne
I am new in Stockholm and searching for cornflour. Could you tell me by what name it sells and where can I find them.

Anne said...

Eva - it's called majsmjöl and you'll find it in any grocery store. Maizena makes one (but they make other products too that look similar - don't get confused) and Risenta is another producer.