Sunday, February 26, 2006

Scones



I started typing "Really fast scones" as the title, but that would have been a bit pointless. After all, Scones *are* really fast. That's kind of "their thing". This is a very basic scones recipe - just the way I like it.

Scones
makes 8

215 g flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
50 g butter or shortening
150 ml milk

Preheat oven to 225°C. Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. By hand, rub in the cold fat, until it's nicely distributed. Add the milk, and work to a quick dough. Shape into two fat discs, and place on a lined bakingsheet. Cut the rounds into quarters, but not quite all the way through to the bottom. Bake for 12-15 minutes, and serve with cheese and marmalade.



Scones

4 comments:

Nic said...

Wow - these look perfect Anne. Really gives me a craving for scones....

selena said...

hi - been lurking for awhile and trying lots of recipes! thank you!
i'm wondering if the amounts are off, or if i'm messing up my conversion. 215 grams of flour seems to convert to one cup of flour, and makes a really really sticky dough. other scone recipes call for twice the amount (2 cups) of flour with the same amount of everything else...

Anne said...

Hi Selena! Thanks for writing! I don't know about conversion - I usually just weigh the ingredients to make sure I get the same results - but I'm fairly sure I did only use 215 g. I'll try it again to make sure though! It was indeed a very sticky dough, but the way I know scones, that's how it should be... barely shapeable! :)

selena said...

Thanks Anne!
I'm used to making scones that are almost bread-doughy, but I'll try it your way!
Tack så mycket!