Sunday, October 16, 2005

Mexican Corn Soup



Corn is my favorite vegetable, and it always has been. When I was a kid, I'd eat corn and butter as a snack - or as a makeshift dinner if I had to. Just frozen corn, water, brought to a boil.. and topped with butter. Yum.

No wonder corn is still my comfort food of choice. I recently saw that Victoria of the blog Kardemumma posted a recipe for Mexican Corn soup. Oooh. Promising! So, I made it for lunch on the weekend. It was indeed absolutely delicious. I'm re-posting the recipe here so all you readers who don't know Swedish can enjoy it, too. (I changed a few minor things from Victoria's recipe, slightly different spices, and I omitted the black pepper.)

It was indeed delicious. I loved it - Per didn't, but he's a bit sensitive to the mushy texture corn gets after being pureed. So, I ended up eating half his bowl as well.. I was too full to have dinner. But oh, the soup was good.

Mexican Corn Soup
serves 2

500 g frozen corn kernels (or a mix of frozen and canned corn, which I used)
1 small red chili, finely diced
1 tbsp oil
salt
1 tsp sugar
500 ml water
1 chicken stock cube
100 ml light creme fraiche (15% fat)
1 tsp each of powdered chili, cayenne and cumin
1 tsp white balsamic vinegar

Fry the corn and the chili in the oil until they're a bit brown. Add sugar and salt. Add the rest of the ingredients, and let simmer for five minutes. Pure with an immersion blender (careful! It's hot!) or in a food processor. Eat!

No comments: