Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Blog Day 2005 - go find some new favorites!



Today, August 31, is Blog Day 2005. This is a really neat event that was started to get everyone to read new blogs. You know how it is - you read your favorites, but rarely venture out to a new one. Or at least that's what I do. I use an rss-reader (Sharpreader, by the way), so whatever blogs I have entered into that gets read every day. The rest - who don't have valid rss feeds - when I remember to read them. More seldom, for sure.

Anyway. The idea behind blog day is this:
"BlogDay was created with the belief that bloggers should have one day dedicated to getting to know other bloggers from other countries and areas of interest. On that day Bloggers will recommend other blogs to their blog visitors. With the goal in mind, on this day every blogger will post a recommendation of 5 new blogs. In this way, all Blog web surfers will find themselves leaping around and discovering new, previously unknown blogs."

Some of my readers have already alerted me that I've been mentioned by several blogs as a new fun place to visit - thanks so much to the bloggers who have referred me, and to all brave new visitors who clicked in. I hope you'll like it here! Now, for some recommendations of my own, to five food blogs that I've discovered lately - new to me, and maybe to you?

Seriously Good - yeah, appropriate name there Kevin. Everything this guy posts sounds.. seriously good. I've tried the Tuscan Chicken so far - and so should you. Next up will be his Potato Skins.


Nami-Nami
- Pille is an Estonian living in Edinburgh. Since my dad is from Estonia, I am particularly entranced by Pille's writing, and I look forward to trying many of her recipes. I was also excited when she confirmed that my food memories of what I thought was genuinely Estonian really was genuine. Cool!

The Cooking Adventures of Chef Paz - very yummy-sounding recipes and gorgeous photos! I look forward to reading much, much more.

80 Breakfasts - a Filipino food blog. When I was younger, I had a penpal in Manila. I was always fascinated by her letters, and loved learning about a culture so different from my own. I have the same feeling reading this blog - some things are so exotic, others very familiar.

English Patis - Celia was actually my partner in European Blogging By Mail, and sent me a wonderful package. That also got me to read her blog, which is a real treasure. I love her writing - and her cooking. Celia is also Filipina, but lives in the UK.

4 comments:

Pille said...

Hej Anne - tack så mycket for nominating me:) I guess I must try to cook and blog about Estonian food more in the future in order to keep you - and your dad - happy:)
Also, I finally got around and included your site on my favourite blogs list - sorry it took so long!

Anonymous said...

Oh, oh! What a wonderful surprise! I was returning to your blog to see if you had posted any more wedding presents (heehee, yes, I am enjoying vicariously "opening" presents!) and what do I see...you have recommended my blog for Blog Day! Thank you so much :-) I'm so glad you enjoy my blog. And I'm very flattered by your nice comments. So interesting to know you had a penpal in Manila! I also love learning about different cultures :-)

I'll also be adding you to my links...hope you don't mind!

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow, Anne! I've recently discovered your blog and added it to my list of daily blog visits.

On my visit this afternoon, can you imagine my pleasant surprise to find that you've listed me for Blog Day? THANK YOU very much! I'm honored and happy that you're able to stop by my blog.

Happy Blog Day, Everyone!

Best,
Paz

Anonymous said...

Speaking of RSS readers, it seems your feed has changed in mine. It used to show complete posts with photos and other HTML formatting, but now it's only the first paragraph or so, and no pictures.

Is this a setting you've changed, or has Blogger gone and changed the feeds globally? It's much preferable to read the posts directly in the rss reader, so if it's under your control, please consider changing it back.