Friday, June 17, 2005

SHF Tart Edition -Rhubarb Caramel Tart



This month, the fun event Sugar High Fridays is hosted by Life in Flow, and the theme: Tantalizing Titillating Tempting Tarts. Well, first of all, I'm not completely sure if this qualifies as a tart, or a pie, or a crumble, or a cobbler or whatever else it might be - but it's so darn tasty I absolutely have to share it with you, and this seems like the perfect occasion. It's an absolutely amazing.. well, whatever it is, but let's just call it a tart. (I have a vague suspicion that a tart should have filling on top of dough, rather than the other way around.. oh well.)

I found the recipe via a Swedish journalist who blogs (that's becoming very big here right now - one of our largest tabloids have ordered 8 or so of their staff to start blogs.), and I don't really know the original source. Whoever that is - THANK YOU, because this is so good. I'll definitely keep it in my regular repertoire. I've already tried two other rhubarb recipes so far this summer, but this turned out even better. Very, very delicious!

Sadly, it's not very photogenic, but the taste truly makes up for it. Try this! Try this! Try this! (I'm sorry, but I'm really very excited. In case you couldn't tell.)

Rhubarb Caramel Tart
Serves 4

500 g rhubarb, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
sugar

150 g butter
1/2 dl golden syrup
1 dl cream (half and half works well, doesn't need to be full fat)

2 dl rolled oats
2 dl sugar
2 dl flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

Put the rhubarb in an oven-proof dish, and preheat oven to 175 degrees C / 350 F. Sprinkle with sugar - how much you need is determined by how tart your rhubarb is.

Mix the oats, sugar, flour and baking powder in a bowl. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the syrup and the cream, and take off the heat. Add the mixed dry ingredients, stir well. Pour this on top of the rhubarb, and bake for 25-30 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream or custard.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds so incredibly yummy. Too bad that my team is invited to our boss this evening otherwise I would have baked rhubarb caramel tart. Maybe I will ask Fredrik to buy some rhubarb so that I can bake it when I come home :-)Or I can just ask him to have it finished and baked when I return home... haha :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne,

This looks lovely, but the three of us in our office (one American, 2 Brits) can't figure out definitively what a 'dl' measure is--do you have a gram/liquid measure equivalent, just so I can be sure?
Thanks! I'll make it this weekend--phillyukgirl

Nic said...

I just love rhubarb, so of course this sounds great.
And if it doesn't fit the "classic" description of a tart, you can always rename it an "Upside down rubharb caramel tart". Problem solved!

Anne said...

Phillyukgirl - oops! 1 dl equals 100 ml, does that help? 1/2 cup is about 1 1/4 dl, or 125 ml. Hope that helps a little bit! :)

Anonymous said...

1 dl = 1 deciliter.
Deci is latin for 10 so it means 1/10 of a liter.

As simple as that.

And of course 1 centiliter is 1/100 of a liter and 1 milliliter 1/1000 of a liter (latin again for 100 and 1000).

Go metric, it's logic and simple. Or else use: 0,4 cup for each dl

Sam said...

Anne!
you have gone rhubarb crazy this month.
I am intrigued by the sound of this combination

Niki said...

I understand the decilitre idea, because we're metric here in Australia, and I think it's the only way to go for accuracy.
But I'm a little confused how you can have decilitres of oats, flour and sugar? Is that weighing them by weight or volume? Or does dl stand for something else in that case.
I'm mainly asking bc I have a bunch of rhubarb in the fridge and am wondering what I should do with it...

Anne said...

Niki, decilitres (and litres for that matter) are all about volume. We have measuring cups where the standard is 1 dl. But if your measuring cups are in cups, just count 0.4 cups per deciliter, in order to convert. (2 dl would be 0.8 cups, in other words.)

Cissi said...

Nu har jag provat din rabarberpaj - den var verkligen fantastiskt god. Jag kommer definitivt att göra den igen!

Lena said...

Sååå....den här posten var ju gammal, men jag har ju nyss hittat din blogg, så jag lagar mat och bakar lite här och där....Igår lagade jag den här rabarber-pajen och den var ju mums-god!!
Jag hade ingen grädde hemma, så jag tog till med lite grekisk yogurt, mjölk och lite extra sirap. Det blev kanske inte lika sött, men det blev karamelligt ändå. Tack för smak-upplevelsen!

Anne said...

Lena, vad roligt att höra :) Du är välkommen hit! :)