Saturday, November 26, 2016

Slow-cooked pork in crock-pot

Untitled

I sometimes wonder how I managed to blog so much in the past. Or even how I managed to cook. I feel like many of my skills are completely gone, and I feel, at times, insecure and a little lost in my own kitchen. I look at some of my old recipes and marvel at the energy and skill that went into that. (Honestly, how was I ever able to do this?)  Goes to show that cooking, like most other skills, is something you need to active work on at all times. Oh well. I guess I just have to come to terms with the fact that at this time in my life, cooking and blogging are no longer top priorities. I feel a little sad at acknowledging that, but that's just how it is. I miss the old days sometimes, and I miss the close-knit feel of the blogging community. But it's ok to be sentimental.

However, I'll get a post up every now and then. And I'm pretty active over at Instagram, so feel free to hang out with me there!

And today, I'm all about dinner that pretty much cook themselves. A crock-pot comes in handy, and I'm always on the look out for more recipes - if you have a favorite, please share in the comments!

Here's something I tried recently - basically you need a cut of pork, a few veggies, and something sweet-ish to cook it in. I used cherry cordial, but black currant would be good too, or apple juice. After cooking, you strain the liquids to make a great gravy!

Slow-cooked pork in crock-pot

1 pork tenderloin, butt or similar cut. (In Sweden, I use fläskytterfilé)
butter for browning
2-3 carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
1 parsnip, peeled and thickly sliced
100 ml cherry cordial
1-200 ml water
salt, pepper

for the sauce:
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp concentrated stock
300 ml cream

Start by browning your pork in a little butter. I do this directly in my crock-pot since mine has a sauté function, but if yours doesn't, just brown it in a frying pan instead.

Next, place it in the crock-pot (if it's not browned in there already), add the veggies, the cherry cordial, salt and pepper and water. Cook at low heat for 6-7 hours, or until the pork is nicely cooked. (This is not meant to be pulled apart, but sliced, so you don't have to cook it for as long as you do with pulled pork.)

When it's done, carefully transfer the meat to a cutting board. Strain the liquids, pushing the veggies through a sieve as you do so, into a small saucepan. To this, add soy sauce, concentrated stock if you want to, and cream. Bring to a boil and cook for just a few minutes on low heat, and season to taste.

Slice the meat. Serve with boiled potatoes, and any nice pickles that you might like.




No comments: